Kole tang harassing cleaner shrimp

SuncrestReef

3 minutes ago, milesmiles902 said:

Maybe feed it more?

The tang gets plenty of food.  In fact, while I recorded the video there was a piece of nori on the other side of the tank.  He goes back and forth between eating the nori and then pecking at the shrimp.  It's like some sort of game for him.

11 hours ago, SuncrestReef said:

The tang gets plenty of food.  In fact, while I recorded the video there was a piece of nori on the other side of the tank.  He goes back and forth between eating the nori and then pecking at the shrimp.  It's like some sort of game for him.

Yeah, that stuff happens. I'm sorry to hear it.

I remember finding my starfish with one of it's legs dissolving. I was so unsure about what was happening that I didn't know what to do. Then, one day I got up to use the restroom and found my cleaner shrimp destroying the starfish as it tried to crawl away.

Hopefully, it will soon subside.

Yeah, that stuff happens. I'm sorry to hear it.
I remember finding my starfish with one of it's legs dissolving. I was so unsure about what was happening that I didn't know what to do. Then, one day I got up to use the restroom and found my cleaner shrimp destroying the starfish as it tried to crawl away.
Hopefully, it will soon subside.
[emoji50] wow Cleaner Shrimp have always been one of my favorites, who knew they could be so vicious... Poor starfish! I had a purple Dotty back that constantly harassed my cleaner shrimp, did it so much I ended up getting rid of it. Sucked too it was such a bright pretty fish but I really like my cleaner shrimp [emoji16]

Sent from my BLU R1 HD using Tapatalk

17 minutes ago, Mandinga said:

Do cleaner shrimp shed their whiskers? Maybe they taste good?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My shrimp molts about every 16 days, and the whole exoskeleton including antennae come off in one piece.  I guess I could try an experiment next time he molts by clipping the discarded antennae to the tang's seaweed clip to see if he eats them.  But then again, that may increase his appetite and go after the real thing even more. 😬

• Haha 1

What a dick! Lol

only thing I can really add to this conversation.... I have a leopard wrasse and on 2 occasions have seen my cleaner shrimp lunge aggressively at it. My leopard wrasse is hardcore. Twice however, I've seen it scare away from the shrimps lunging. They are about the same size. I think the wrasse would eat the shrimp if it were smaller and the shrimp knows he would be on the menu if he doesn't do the tough guy routine. Maybe your tang is needing cleaned or possibly the shrimp looked him funny one day?