My back to the hobby nano build

fpd4308

I am back to a place where I can run a happy Reef tank again and this time I am trying for quality over quantity. I had a 120 glass, a number of years ago, and now I have been able to pick up a used 23 gallon acrylic with external overflow and two 3/4" returns. I am going to try some things I learned when keeping my 120. 

First is to get the tank set in place and plumb in this giant sump. I am lucky to be putting the tank against a wall that is shared with my garage so I am going to plumb everything out to my sump in the garage.

My first project is that I am building a foam and rock 3D background and the wife has insisted on refinishing the stand so more photos to come as this project moves forward.

IMG_20190329_162914.jpg

IMG_20190329_162921.jpg

• Like 5

Good luck with the build. Interested to see how that background turns out. Jealous that you can run your sump remote[emoji846]
I always wanted to run the remote sump and now that I am starting from scratch I can make that happen. I am pretty excited about that part.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

The stand is refinished. My wife calls it the weathered look. Got the tank plumbed and ran the plumbing through the wall to the remote sump location. Got the tank in place and the 3D background installed. Sand is in. Tomorrow I will get the lights hung and the sump plumbed. Then time for water and live rock!e0d3136118510b52545b497a909e3846.jpg409712e55751023cd705ff4fef7d1fbb.jpgc82d82f8313bf5e9ee2b1f505c7dc249.jpga8dbadacc4d8236b9c9e85ba3f6da409.jpg

• Like 6

I love that 3 D background! I thought about doing something similar a few years ago to my 55 but after researching a lot I got too intimidated... At that point I had only been doing saltwater for about 6 months I believe. I'm curious what did you end up using exactly to create it? I may consider this in my next tank. Oh God my husband would kill me if he saw I just said that [emoji23] I just finished swapping everything over from the holding tank to my new tank yesterday, took a lot longer than I anticipated and in the process cluttered up everything for quite a while, he wasn't exactly thrilled about that

Sent from my BLU R1 HD using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, TaylorW said:

I love that 3 D background! I thought about doing something similar a few years ago to my 55 but after researching a lot I got too intimidated... At that point I had only been doing saltwater for about 6 months I believe. I'm curious what did you end up using exactly to create it? I may consider this in my next tank. Oh God my husband would kill me if he saw I just said that emoji23.png I just finished swapping everything over from the holding tank to my new tank yesterday, took a lot longer than I anticipated and in the process cluttered up everything for quite a while, he wasn't exactly thrilled about that

TaylorW,

So I did a lit of research online before building the background. I ended up using what seemed like was working for many other; although, there are arguments about every option, as there is with everything Marine Aquarium. Items used:

Egg Crate (light diffuser)

Some small dry rock

Pond Spray foam (make sure it is UV and Fish safe)

Fiberglass two part resin (marine grade)

Sand

If you want detailed instructions I can post them or PM them to you

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Salted_Waffles said:

Tank looks good! What kind of reef do you plan on doing? 

I think I will do a mixed Reef; although, I will be very selective with the softies. My passion is encrusting Montis. I am working with limited space this time so I plan to go with unusual and very eye catching SPS. Going to take a little getting used to the Nano world as far as space goes. Here are a few early pictures of the 120 glass I used to have. I will miss the space but not the water changes...lol

FB_IMG_1510699645342.jpg

FB_IMG_1510699647803.jpg

FB_IMG_1510699650173.jpg

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Krux said:

Man I haven't seen a SCWD in so long, awesome!

lolol..no kidding! It wasn't easy to find locally. I Found one at an LFS, on a bottom shelf, in a dusty, water stained box. Bringing back a little old school.

• Like 2

TaylorW,
So I did a lit of research online before building the background. I ended up using what seemed like was working for many other; although, there are arguments about every option, as there is with everything Marine Aquarium. Items used:
Egg Crate (light diffuser)
Some small dry rock
Pond Spray foam (make sure it is UV and Fish safe)
Fiberglass two part resin (marine grade)
Sand
If you want detailed instructions I can post them or PM them to you
That's pretty much what I figured, this was a while back and I was curious if anything had changed about how people are doing it now, hey if it works why not it looks great! There seems to be a lot of people using them now, I was thinking it would be great for a smaller tank. My husband and I were at Paradise Coral yesterday buying some fish for the new tank and he really liked the Waterbox tanks which gave me hope for another in the near future [emoji16] I already have three reef tanks but after dragging him to Paradise he really seems more into my hobby so maybe I'll try this on a bit smaller tank

• Like 2

Well tank is running smoothly. I may have cheated a bit and used sand and water from an established aquarium [emoji6]. Trates were about 5.0 ppm yesterday but everything leveled out to zero today. I was intending on getting one clown fish and a Lawnmower Blenny but couldn't break up this pair and leave one all alone and lonely so ended up with two and a Blenny. Now I will let things settle a bit and then start searching out a small to medium rock of bright green clove polyps. One of my personal favorite softies.34993055f4fe730d3478b434ff4af037.jpgca9b96388e899fd81e323fa4414e803e.jpg6c8c2cb05430b4f39bd3ef153ddbafef.jpg9d3d38077ecc0f038bf15594b23caeef.jpg

• Like 4

Tank is progressing quite nicely. Everything is looking great so I added a couple monti frags. Also decided I needed more flow than the returns would give me so I added an aqamai KPM. I am actually quite impressed with it. The app is not super user friendly but once I got it figured out it is really a nice addition.058ae349deaa19218b90bb3e77e3cff9.jpg646979e3c0462e2a724333f8c378bd4b.jpg5e7bf2697cba76dead7c5fd815e6befc.jpgdf3153130699b6c1c5f878a1042a4a2d.jpg

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...