Dosing

bamburgb

So im gonna start dosing Acropower in the tank and was gonna set it up with a dosing pump, but was concerned because it says to shake well before each use. So my question is has anyone done this? Is there any concern with setting it up with a dosing pump and not shaking the bottle each time prior to dosing? If set up with a dosing pump how did you keep it mixed if it needed it?

Also was curious as to any brightwell aquatic products? I was thinking about the zooplankton but wasnt sure which ones would be good to dose, I have a scallop, SPS, LPS, zoas, and some softies. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Krux said:

Julian from TLF was quoted saying that automatic dosing isn't an issue on another forum.

Not sure what TLF is but that’s what I was hoping just because I ordered a gallon jug and didn’t wanna have to shake that thing every time I go to add it haha.

3 minutes ago, Lazyreefer said:

This is something I was wondering for reef Fuel as well if I want to set it up with one of the new xl Bluetooth dosers and it says it needs to be shaken well/refrigerated after opening if anyone has input on that too? 

Ya that’s one thing I thought about was the refrigeration but both zooplankton by brightwell and the acropower both said they don’t need refrigeration.

• Like 1

Not to be that guy...ok, I will be that guy.  Do you really need to automate dosing acropower?   Perhaps as a source of nitrates, but I think the jury is still out on the benefits of that stuff.  I know, its aminos but my understanding was that corals can't just suck up long chain aminos.  I dunno, I could be way wrong, I ahve been at work for 13 hours and counting and just jumped on the forum to stop my brain from  melting.  

I do recall that the most effective coral food in terms of growth was reef chili.   Here you go

The key to grow is really only 3 things, two of which are easy.
1. strong current (no, a little more than you think).
2. good lights
3. stability

what are the details on your tank? Maybe we can help you out a little.
lights, schedule, flow, etc. what kind of corals? poly extension, etc etc etc

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, pdxmonkeyboy said:

The key to grow is really only 3 things, two of which are easy.
1. strong current (no, a little more than you think).
2. good lights
3. stability

what are the details on your tank? Maybe we can help you out a little.
lights, schedule, flow, etc. what kind of corals? poly extension, etc etc etc

I have a 180 gallon mixed reef. I have some sps (montipora, millipora, and I don’t remember what the others are), hammers, torches, frogspawn, a couple acans, zoas, green sinularia. For movement I have 2 maxspect gyre XF250’s 1 set at 40% pulse and the other set at 20% pulses every 2 seconds. Am doing vodka dosing 10mL 2x a day, and have a calcium tractor set up. 

My lights are 2  reefcorner 180W programmable LED’s. The channels are as follows (time/%)

b1: 0700/0, b2: 0900/55, b3: 1000/80, b4: 12/100,  b5: 1700/55, b6: 2000/0

w1: 0700/0, w2: 0900/5, w3: 1000/20, w4: 1200/35, w5: 1700/15, w6: 2000/0

n1: 1800/0, n2: 1900/20, n3: 2000/55, n4: 2100/85, n5: 2200/55, n6: 0100/0

2 hours ago, bamburgb said:

, and have a calcium tractor set up. 

Your methods...are too extreme!!! F368EA95-EE67-4F93-B10A-9C1CA85F7EE8.jpeg

joking aside, there is lots that influences growth. I noticed better PE when I dosed Acropower in the past. Hard to say how much it actually affected growth, but maybe give it a shot. Sounds like the rest of your system is fine.

• Like 1

unfortunately I know absolutely zip about leds so cant help there. I do have a PAR meter if you live in the city.

Without a lot of sps I doubt that flow is an issue. one suggestion I would make is to take advantage of the massive amounts of programming available on the gyres. I used to run just one program 24/7 but finally broke down and made like 5 or 6 different programs throughout the day and night. some gentle stuff at night when the corals feed and 20 minutes of "jesus are you kidding me" mega flow blow everything around in the morning.

I saw a LOT more polyp extension after that.

• Like 1