Watermainpocalypse

albertareef

Well, if you missed the big NE Portland watermain rupture story here is a pic.  This is at 23rd and Skidmore - we are 4blocks north  Fortunately the millions of gallons of water flowed over to 24th before heading north so our street is dry. Lots of the area streets blocked off though. 

Bad news is that we are one of the 11K people without power!  Got the generator fired up so circulating water and heating but no ETA on getting it back. Looks like a long night of waking up to refill the generator. Ugh. 

AC45F8E4-8966-4BD0-AC64-CEC69F4F4459.jpeg

• Sad 5

58 minutes ago, albertareef said:

I think we are about to find out!  I am thinking two to three hours maybe?  Could be a long night 😞

Last summer PGE did some scheduled maintenance in my neighborhood and had to shut down the power.  I rented a small Honda 2000 generator from Home Depot in advance and it ran over 7 hours on a gallon of gas.

I'm so glad my whole-house generator runs on natural gas and comes on automatically!  It kicked on last month in the middle of the night and I didn't even realize we had a power outage until the morning when I saw the alert it sent my phone.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lewisriverfisherman said:

Dang Sean this is not good news at all.  Glad you have a generator  to help the situation out, here's to the power coming back on early! 

50 minutes ago, SuncrestReef said:

Last summer PGE did some scheduled maintenance in my neighborhood and had to shut down the power.  I rented a small Honda 2000 generator from Home Depot in advance and it ran over 7 hours on a gallon of gas.

I'm so glad my whole-house generator runs on natural gas and comes on automatically!  It kicked on last month in the middle of the night and I didn't even realize we had a power outage until the morning when I saw the alert it sent my phone.

Well - got the power back so hopefully no permanent damage.  Generator lasted longer than I thought it would on a fill up... was only about 1/3 down when I shut it off (actually think it's an older Honda 2000 model as it turns out).  Guess the good news is I now have an extra gas can full of gas 🤗

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, albertareef said:

Well - got the power back so hopefully no permanent damage.  Generator lasted longer than I thought it would on a fill up... was only about 1/3 down when I shut it off (actually think it's an older Honda 2000 model as it turns out).  Guess the good news is I now have an extra gas can full of gas 🤗

I saw a news report that the entire street will need to be excavated and rebuilt from scratch.  I feel bad for those residents.  That's going to be very disruptive for a long time.

10 hours ago, Higher Thinking said:

Dang, that's wild. It was dumping one million gallons per minute! That's quite the pump. I don't imagine BRS has something like that. emoji6.png

All the drought regions are looking at us with disgust, haha.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

We need to be better people.

That's gonna be an intense project to permanently repair/replace that line. 1 million gallons a minute is nothing to shake a stick at. Glad you were prepared for such an occasion, even if it may of involved getting up and refilling the generator. Sounds like you didn't have to, but at least you already had contingency's in place. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, pdxmonkeyboy said:

I am afraid I might have caused that. I flushed Jaggy alive down the toilet. He made his way to NE and broke out of the water main. He is currently on the loose.

If I big fish with red eyes knocks on your door DO NOT ANSWER

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Live cam right now at @albertareef's house:

giphy.gif

Edited by SuncrestReef
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2