PLC controlled water station

Jlpete

Hi All,

I built a water change station at home and the valves are pain to manage.  I am thinking about using PLC controller with 24v valves.  This way at a push of a button it change processes.

This is the controller I am looking at.

https://www.mrostop.com/al2-14mr-d-mitsubishi-programmable-logic-controller-plc.html?gclid=CjwKCAjwmq3kBRB_EiwAJkNDp-BcKxBeIdYNRM230My1lpG1JI7k2CEFOOaQ2disBELoZbCdDm1Y-xoCFNUQAvD_BwE

I am thinking the following.

all stop button

Mix/cycle salt water

Fill mix tank from ro tank

Pull water up hose 

Push water to tank hose

Anyone with experience with PLC controllers or programming them?

Yes I looked at apex but not enough outlets in 24v or I would have to use all of my power outlets.

• Like 1

PLCs are an interesting option.  In the DIY you see allot more arduino with relay shields.  You must have some PLC background?  Looks like a cool project!  I am a very long time software engineer myself.  Did a decade at HP when deskjets were booming and people still made them in the USA...  This stuff is always interesting to me..

16 minutes ago, Vance164 said:

plc programming isnt too bad takes some time but with those basic on off commands it should be pretty simple. I also think you could do this with a breakout box and apex though? 

The breakout box on Apex is read-only, so it can't directly control valves or other outputs.  As @Jlpete stated in the original post, the trick is having enough 24v outputs on the Apex to actually control the valves is the biggest issue.  It would be nice if Neptune offered a 24v multi-outlet module to connect multiple valves, solenoids, and other devices in one compact module.

5 hours ago, SuncrestReef said:

The breakout box on Apex is read-only, so it can't directly control valves or other outputs.  As @Jlpete stated in the original post, the trick is having enough 24v outputs on the Apex to actually control the valves is the biggest issue.  It would be nice if Neptune offered a 24v multi-outlet module to connect multiple valves, solenoids, and other devices in one compact module.

I was wishing for breakout box too when I started my research. 

I write SQL and regex on daily basis then some .net.  Most of the control in PLC programming language  seems pretty straight forward compared to the writing code I have done in the past.

I thought about doing a series of relays and diodes but I kept running into too many issues in the design.  I needed away to control the 120v pump in the process too.  Another I ended up needing to add was timers in to the switching process as well to give water a chance to flow into the pump if the line was empty. Ugh too complicated.  That is how I ended up looking at PLC.