Marineland Glass Tank and Stand (free with TFT donation)

IntoTheMystic

I have a former quarantine tank and stand in my lab that I am trying to give to a worthy home.  It's a glass tank 48" wide x 36" deep x 24" tall. Approx. 180 gallons. With the stand, it is 54" tall. It has 1" in and out in each corner. A bit of history on this: it was set up one weekend at a trade show in Las Vegas before being donated to Hatfield Marine Science Center for the Project Piaba exhibit. While being shipped to HMSC, it got dinged by a forklift, causing superficial damage to the exterior of the left front corner. I patched it up with 795 and plumbed it as my Discus Quarantine tank. Had no problems at all for the 20 months that the system was operational. No leaks anywhere. See photos:

IMG_2271.JPGIMG_2274.JPGIMG_2270.JPG

IMG_2272.JPG

The corner that got dinged is the front left corner, which is the most difficult to get a decent shot of in its current location. As you can see, the second image is taken from inside that corner. Not a great image but considering the lighting and angle, best I could get with my phone. This tank will probably never be a living room showpiece. That die was cast before it ever arrived at HMSC. But it could make a great quarantine tank, hospital tank, system for curing live rock or similar application. Because it is glass, this sucker is pretty heavy but a guy on each corner would have no problem lifting it off the stand and putting on a pallet or dolly for an easy move outside for loading.

As for asking price, the tank and stand are free to a good home. I'm simply asking that whoever wants it make a donation to this organization's Tanks for Teachers program.

Pickup is not particularly time sensitive but if you want it, I'd love for it to be gone by April 13. That's Marine Science Day at HMSC. The annual open house where anyone can wander around most of campus and talk directly with researchers, grad students and faculty and other staff and ask about their work.

Please PM me if you're interested and I'll answer in the order they were received. Thanks much!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Update: Have had two credible contacts from folks interested in this tank and stand. Am in discussion with the first person in line. If that falls through, I'll contact the next person in line. Will update this post when the tank and stand are no longer available. Thanks for your interest and support for TFT, folks!

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, viper55 said:

I think the plus side of that tank was it was barely used.  Marinelsnd DD tanks do not have a great reputation though 

Dang wasn’t aware of that just liked the idea of those dimensions, sucks they don’t have a good rep

Ha ha, I'm not worried.  I'm not saying that it won't fail, just that I'm not worried about it. A lot of tanks fail, but my take on it is that Marineland is so big, we hear about the failures more. My guess is that statistically/percentage-wise, Marineland tanks don't fail any more often than other manufacturer's. In fact, didn't Viper's custom built acrylic tank fail? It can happen to anyone.

That said, if my tank does fail I'm holding Sean personally responsible. 😉

Edited by Gil&Fin
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, Gil&Fin said:

Ha ha, I'm not worried.  I'm not saying that it won't fail, just that I'm not worried about it. A lot of tanks fail, but my take on it is that Marineland is so big, we hear about the failures more. My guess is that statistically/percentage-wise, Marineland tanks don't fail any more often than other manufacturer's. In fact, didn't Viper's custom built acrylic tank fail? It can happen to anyone.

That said, if my tank does fail I'm holding Sean personally responsible. 😉

I think your do for a new build?!

• Haha 2