Roller Mat worth every penny

What_The_Frag

So incredibly tempted, have been looking for pics from someone who has done this on a rsr 350 with the new sump layout to give me the courage to start cutting things up.

This would make extended vacations a lot easier.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PowderBlue said:

So the idea is basically your filter sock but you don’t change it very often correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So my first roll lasted me two months and I feed my tank twice a day and the corals 2 times a week. Each roll cost around $20 so I stocked up on black Friday. My total water volume is around 220 factoring in the rock.  I was washing and bleaching my filter socks on a weekly basis. The other question I get asked about is if it smells...I've never noticed an odor from it. It also helps to keep my water cleaner cause the waste is no longer sitting in the water until I change the sock. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, What_The_Frag said:

So my first roll lasted me two months and I feed my tank twice a day and the corals 2 times a week. Each roll cost around $20 so I stocked up on black Friday. My total water volume is around 220 factoring in the rock.  I was washing and bleaching my filter socks on a weekly basis. The other question I get asked about is if it smells...I've never noticed an odor from it. It also helps to keep my water cleaner cause the waste is no longer sitting in the water until I change the sock. 

wow, two months.  I had no idea they could last that long, kind of winning me over on the idea of getting one of these... the every other day filters sock change and weekly wash is easy but gets old.

@What_The_Frag Can you tell me the dimensions (L x W) of the lower section that sits down in the sump?  I've searched online and can only find overall dimensions for the unit including the motor and roller.  I'm just curious if the bottom section would even fit in my Reefer XL 425 sump's sock chamber or if I'd need to modify or replace the sump.

2 hours ago, SuncrestReef said:

@What_The_Frag Can you tell me the dimensions (L x W) of the lower section that sits down in the sump?  I've searched online and can only find overall dimensions for the unit including the motor and roller.  I'm just curious if the bottom section would even fit in my Reefer XL 425 sump's sock chamber or if I'd need to modify or replace the sump.

All of the mods I have seen on reefers require removing the filter sock holder via razor blade, it looks like it wouldn't be too difficult.  One would be permanently modifying the sump though, so not real going back without trying to re-silicone the sock holder back in.

There is a filter mat that fits into sock holes, but I suspect they are a little undersized for your tank (or mine for that matter).

Here is a post for the mod on a 350 using the newer v3 sump.  This is the route I am considering taking.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/hulleys-rsr-350-v3-w-clarisea-filter-roller.448554/

Sock replacement is really the only remaining issue I see keeping us from going on vacation out of country for three weeks.  Giving someone my Apex login to monitor temp, ph, and salinity with a check in every 4 or 5 days should handle anything other than an equipment failure.

@What_The_Frag I may see if you would be kind enough to allow me to drop by and see yours in action before I pull the trigger?

Edited by Krux

3 hours ago, SuncrestReef said:

Ok so it's about 7.5 x 6 5/8  - roughly 6 inches deep which is adjustable. 

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, What_The_Frag said:

I have used my roller mat for several months now and I will never look back! I love it and I no longer need to wash filter socks. I had to do a slight modification to it but it was super easy. 

Screen Shot 2019-03-09 at 10.43.58 PM.png 

Are these washer safe? 

Edited by milesmiles902

I'm seriously considering re-doing my whole sump and plumbing to make this fit my Reefer XL 425.  I've tried mesh socks, felt socks, and now filter cups with fiber.  I don't like any of them.  But the way my sump is currently set up there's no way to make a roller fit, so I'm going to need to spend some time at the drawing board.  In particular, my refugium sits above the sock chamber, and then my UV sterilizer is directly above that.  I'll need to relocate both.

IMG_5687.jpg

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SuncrestReef said:

I'm seriously considering re-doing my whole sump and plumbing to make this fit my Reefer XL 425.  I've tried mesh socks, felt socks, and now filter cups with fiber.  I don't like any of them.  But the way my sump is currently set up there's no way to make a roller fit, so I'm going to need to spend some time at the drawing board.  In particular, my refugium sits above the sock chamber, and then my UV sterilizer is directly above that.  I'll need to relocate both.

IMG_5687.jpg

I think there is some space in your garage for a remote sump 😉

• Haha 1

Sounds like you found a winner. I was looking seriously at the Klir 7” sock size one but after basically all the reviews being terrible I figured these weren’t as good as they sounded. Most reported the mat getting stuck and the motor not being able to turn it through the channels. Not sure how I would be able to use one in my sump as it’s setup from the factory Eshopps R300 if it wasn’t a drop in style 😞

4 minutes ago, What_The_Frag said:

I think there is some space in your garage for a remote sump 😉

It took a lot of convincing to get my wife to agree to me drilling a hole through the wall for my garage mixing station.  Unfortunately that hole is only big enough for the 1/4" poly tubing, so I'd need to drill larger holes for a remote sump.  Since I'm already working on her to agree to building a large addition on the house with a dedicated fish room, I'm going to keep working that angle.  The last thing I want is to compromise on a remote sump and lose the fish room battle. 🤣

• Like 4

1 minute ago, SuncrestReef said:

It took a lot of convincing to get my wife to agree to me drilling a hole through the wall for my garage mixing station.  Unfortunately that hole is only big enough for the 1/4" poly tubing, so I'd need to drill larger holes for a remote sump.  Since I'm already working on her to agree to building a large addition on the house with a dedicated fish room, I'm going to keep working that angle.  The last thing I want is to compromise on a remote sump and lose the fish room battle. 🤣

Good call, the fish room is the holy grail. Yeah my wife was the same way at first, she couldn't understand why I wanted to spend so much money on a "fish tank".  Thankfully I was able to get her addicted to high end Zoas and bounce mushrooms, so now she's my partner in crime lol.  

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

• 9 months later...
  • 7 months later...
On 3/10/2019 at 9:33 PM, SuncrestReef said:

IMG_5687.jpg

Thank you for the very good photo of the Red Sea sump.  I have a E260 with integrated rear sump and due to an upcoming tank move have been considering adding a in-stand sump.  The more I look at the Red Sea sump.. the less I want one of those.   The placement of the ATO tank over the filter socks, with socks sliding into the skimmer area for maintenance, is looking more and more like a poor setup.   However, the setup in your photo is very impressive and perhaps you have used the filter sock area for rubble?  Sure have squeezed a tremendous amount of very well laid out equipment in there!   

Edited by Webbed Feet
typos
  • Like 1