Stopped into saltwater obsessions today

PowderBlue

I was out visiting my dad at the hospital and decided to stop in to saltwater obsessions. It’s been years since I’ve been into Patrick’s store and it is a nice little store! He has a nice fish selection and a solid Cuc selection with pistol shrimps, a decorator crab and a nice selection of corals! 1842ef1d65b18f570353293d672cf13c.jpgb0727d7055989dd47cc190ff0d05499a.jpg37298ff28407bd1377fe7f6f6cf681fc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

I'm close, no longer go. If you buy anything from them it must go through a qt. The coral tanks have red planeria and acoel, yes I have personally seen both in numerous tanks. Acoel is a non issue but not about to get the red planeria.   Fish tanks I've seen ick in numerous times. If you get saltwater there, as I used too, it is all over the place SG wise. I've had it as high as 1.030, seemed more consistent at 1.025/26 when Tom worked there. Tanks are very dirty. 

14 minutes ago, CrabbyCrabs said:

I'm close, no longer go. If you buy anything from them it must go through a qt. The coral tanks have red planeria and acoel, yes I have personally seen both in numerous tanks. Acoel is a non issue but not about to get the red planeria.   Fish tanks I've seen ick in numerous times. If you get saltwater there, as I used too, it is all over the place SG wise. I've had it as high as 1.030, seemed more consistent at 1.025/26 when Tom worked there. Tanks are very dirty. 

To add to this, the $10/15 frag tank on the back wall have zoa eating nudis. Dip everything from there. 

7 hours ago, CrabbyCrabs said:

Thanks for sharing. I stopped going to the prior shop in NE Portland because the fish came straight from the wholesaler who was next door and they were not given anytime to acclimate.  Ich doesn’t bother me as much as the husbandry practices. The fish were stressed didn’t have time to acclimate and never did well.  It was too bad because there was such a nice selection.  He used to be a sponsor  on this site years ago but stopped because of all the bad experiences people were reporting. As the saying goes , the most expensive fish is a dead one. 

I know the other shop had serious issues for a while but I had not been into this location yet, when I was in the tanks looked clean, I didn’t notice anything crazy but honestly I didn’t look that hard. I’m cautious buying from any shop and I dip [language filter] no matter where it comes from. Solid advice for sure and I’ll likely rarely ever go back out there as it’s pretty far from my house. Sad to see multiple people having issues from the shop.

• Like 1

I have purchased coral/fish there. Got flatworms from coral from there, but was able to use pig deworming stuff to get rid of them which probably killed my clam. I had removed all fish for the process that took over 3 months of treatment. They do have a great selection of fish/coral. I have a zoa rock from there and hammers/frogspawn. I have never had a fish from there live but all my fish from CB's and cuttlefish live. What turned me off forever is a coral I got from there I dipped in Bayer and had red planeria, acoel, other bugs I can't ID, and a fireworm. I arranged a time with Patrick to drop off coral as I was not going to risk it, he never showed for the scheduled appointment. Was told to leave coral just inside door that was cracked. The coral was still there when another employee showed up later that night. His big frag tank is as dirty as a tank can get every time I went and I could see red planeria they didn't even notice/care. Now I only go once in awhile for Tigger pods as a treat for my wrasses.

• Sad 1

I have purchased coral/fish there. Got flatworms from coral from there, but was able to use pig deworming stuff to get rid of them which probably killed my clam. I had removed all fish for the process that took over 3 months of treatment. They do have a great selection of fish/coral. I have a zoa rock from there and hammers/frogspawn. I have never had a fish from there live but all my fish from CB's and cuttlefish live. What turned me off forever is a coral I got from there I dipped in Bayer and had red planeria, acoel, other bugs I can't ID, and a fireworm. I arranged a time with Patrick to drop off coral as I was not going to risk it, he never showed for the scheduled appointment. Was told to leave coral just inside door that was cracked. The coral was still there when another employee showed up later that night. His big frag tank is as dirty as a tank can get every time I went and I could see red planeria they didn't even notice/care. Now I only go once in awhile for Tigger pods as a treat for my wrasses.

That is no good!! I’ll likely stick with Upscales and cuttlefish fish :)

Glad I read this, though it does make me sad to hear it. One of the many joys of this hobby is seeing such a large local shop population and I enjoy stopping by shops local to my jobs for the day and purchasing local when possible. . Sounds like this is a place I ought to avoid. 

Thanks!

He does get some nice stuff, if you can dip,qt,dip, watch,wait,dip,qt and are strict about it. Sucks because it's him and CB's and that's it. CB's is more into fish though but he does get some nice ones. My trumpet, and one hammer are from there, so are my mated Wyoming whites and my red sea tanks

Staff has always been very friendly, and even been available during the week when they were closed for water when my kids have created an emergency. That being said I use to go here, and have noticed the dirty tanks. The majority of their stock honestly seems like trade ins, and I think this is why they have such dirty tanks. I have switched over to cuttlefish being my go to store for everything. One thing I’ve learned that is key in this hobby is patience. If Jeff doesn’t have what I am looking for instock I’m confident he can get it in a reasonable amount of time. Cuttlefish husbandry comes across as clinical to me. The staff there have always been very attentive, and Jeff is VERY personable. Thank you cuttlefish for providing an amazing experience that makes it well worth driving over an hour to visit. That being said paradise also has some amazing zoas 😂🤷🏼‍♂️

• Like 2