Neotherm heater just exploded.

Oregonic

Just had a neotherm heater explode. Was sitting on couch and heard a loud boom from in the sump. Got up and made it to the tank in less then 5 seconds opened the sump door and saw bubbling and lots of smoke. Quickly shut off the heater and had it out of the sumo in less then 30 swconds from when it popped. I filled a mesh filter sock with carbon and put in a high flow area. Its been about 30min now and everything looks happy. BTA’s still fully inflated, they usually shrink if I even have my hand in the tank for less then a few seconds. Duncan corals still fully open, they usually close up with any type of swing. I was lucky I was sitting right next to the tank and was able to act at olympic athlete speed. Should I worry? Should I make up some water do a large water change tomorrow? Tank has been super stable and I have rarely been doing water changes as the seen to slightly throw things off for a day or two after water changes. Here are a few pics one showing the crack in the heater and one after I removed the broken plastic to see what happened.

527FBEF0-19B4-4BE7-86ED-4302CBA7A3B2.jpeg

C70BB980-6CB5-494C-8C22-535DEC85206C.jpeg

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Wow, insane!  So glad you were home.  Sounds like your BTAs will tell you if theres a problem.

I have had good luck with these Aqueon Pro Adjustable Heater.  Looks like they don't make them anymore?

I run about six of them on different outlets.  GFCI on each outlet. ground probes in the tank and sump, and AFCI at the panel.

• Like 2

Everything looks fine this morning. All corals and anemones opening up fully as the lights are ramping up. I did a bunch of reading last night and it seems I caught just in time. Everyone who I read about that had fish or coral deaths seems to have not caught it right away which let the resin inside the heater get into the water. When I got mine out of the water no resin had oozed out of the crack yet. The smoke smelt terrible but no smell to water or cabinet this morning. I think I got really lucky and dodged the bullet.  I had just got back Triton water tests on Thursday so I am going to order another test and send in asap to see if it leached any heavy metals. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Oregonic said:

Going heater shopping today, thinking of trying to find a titanium heater, think I saw some the other week at The Wet Spot. 

Seahorse has quite a few in different sizes... just picked one up from them.  They have some Aquatop models with temp probes and controller - some of the other titaniums require a separate controller from my recollection.  Good luck.

• Like 1

I had a glass one pop open and my tank basically crashed. I moved everything out into a hospital tank and re-cycled my tank and used Triton Detox to remove any heavy metals. Let your corals guide you though, it was obvious in my tank something got in the water column, everything closed up and was pissed. I would at a minimum do a large water change. Maybe consider running Detox, it doesn’t hurt corals or fish.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Blue Z Reef said:

I had a glass one pop open and my tank basically crashed. I moved everything out into a hospital tank and re-cycled my tank and used Triton Detox to remove any heavy metals. Let your corals guide you though, it was obvious in my tank something got in the water column, everything closed up and was pissed. I would at a minimum do a large water change. Maybe consider running Detox, it doesn’t hurt corals or fish.

I have been keeping a close eye on the tank all day. Everthing looks normal with exception of my elegance coral being open but not quite as full as usual. Never heard of Triton Detox, I will have to see if anyone local had some. If not I will order some online.  Thanks for the tip. 

58 minutes ago, albertareef said:

Seahorse has quite a few in different sizes... just picked one up from them.  They have some Aquatop models with temp probes and controller - some of the other titaniums require a separate controller from my recollection.  Good luck.

Apex should be able to regulate a titanium heater without an internal thermostat I would think. Do I need to plug it into one of the outlets that has a relay on the apex power strip?

58 minutes ago, Oregonic said:

I have been keeping a close eye on the tank all day. Everthing looks normal with exception of my elegance coral being open but not quite as full as usual. Never heard of Triton Detox, I will have to see if anyone local had some. If not I will order some online.  Thanks for the tip. 

I’ve still got my bottle if you are in a bind and want to come grab a dose of it over here in Camas. Can’t meet up to deliver today, full time Daddy duty for the weekend 🤪

Detox is the only heavy metal remover that I’m aware of. Until Triton started doing the ICP testing we didn’t really have anything to test metals with aside from copper. I didn’t do a before/after test but it’s reviewed online to work. Figured when my heater blew up and no other parameters seemed out of whack it was the best thing to do.

Edited by Blue Z Reef
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Oregonic said:

Apex should be able to regulate a titanium heater without an internal thermostat I would think. Do I need to plug it into one of the outlets that has a relay on the apex power strip?

Based on your question, I assume you have the older EB8 power strip, not the newer EB832, correct?

If so, the relay outlets (#4 & #8) are best reserved for very low power draw devices because the TRIAC outlets (#1-3 & #5-7) can sometimes fail to turn off when the power draw is very low, failing in an Open state.  

As long as your heater doesn’t pull more than 5 amps it will be fine in any of the TRIAC outlets.

The newer EB832 uses relays for all outlets and they’re all 7 amp.

21 minutes ago, SuncrestReef said:

Based on your question, I assume you have the older EB8 power strip, not the newer EB832, correct?

If so, the relay outlets (#4 & #8) are best reserved for very low power draw devices because the TRIAC outlets (#1-3 & #5-7) can sometimes fail to turn off when the power draw is very low, failing in an Open state.  

As long as your heater doesn’t pull more than 5 amps it will be fine in any of the TRIAC outlets.

Yup this is exactly what I was talking about. Good to know. I just picked up 2 150w aquatop heaters. I was trying to find a titanium heater but could not find on local so these will have to do for now. My last heater was not tied to apex because the Neotherms did a great job keeping temp 78 +\- .01 degrees, dont think these will do that without the help of an apex. So my plan is to set apex to turn them on at 77.9 and off at 78.0. I will set the thermostat on the heaters to somewhere around 79 just incase the apex fails to shut off at 78.0.  I have a doser set up on plug 4 that stays on of not plugged into that outlet. I would think it would be safe to run 2 150w heaters on outlet 8 with a splitter?

28 minutes ago, SuncrestReef said:

I really appreciate the offer but just ordering online with 2 day shipping.  Im not super concerned as I caught it super fast and there was no evidence of anything oozing out. Evething still looks happy and healthy. My duncans seem to be my coral that show me when somthing is off in the tank and they look unaffected. My elegance that looks slightly smaller today has its days where its just not happy for no apparent reason fairly often so I dont trust it to tell me when something is wrong, the boy that cried wolf coral 😂.  

7 minutes ago, Oregonic said:

I really appreciate the offer but just ordering online with 2 day shipping.  Im not super concerned as I caught it super fast and there was no evidence of anything oozing out. Evething still looks happy and healthy. My duncans seem to be my coral that show me when somthing is off in the tank and they look unaffected. My elegance that looks slightly smaller today has its days where its just not happy for no apparent reason fairly often so I dont trust it to tell me when something is wrong, the boy that cried wolf coral 😂.  

I’m guessing you meant to quote @Blue Z Reef in this reply.

• Thanks 1