It’s been around the block build

Zach_discus

Hello all, so many of you have seen this tank. From what I hear it’s been around Portland for awhile and now it’s North of Seattle.

250gallon Envision acrylic tank (72x36x25tall) on a steel stand.

4 chamber sump (55x22x16tall)

Reef Octopus Redal 250ss skimmer

Reef Octopus CR3000 calcium reactor with carbon dozer regulator and 20lb bottle

Reef Octopus BR140 Bio Pellet I use this as a multi-purpose reactor running carbon/Geo/pellets as needed

Reef Octopus VarioS8 return pump. 

Full Apex system

4x CTLite G3 270watt LEDs and 4 60”T5 retrofits

Here are a few cloudy tank shots. Duane Came over and helped me scape the beast. Now comes the long wait for tank to settle and cycle. 

DF5928AB-8069-4209-93AE-84B8E11F183C.jpeg

7A5C1024-961D-4D00-884F-5349001028D7.jpeg

0A7E919B-1E70-4F8A-8E73-CE4A7BFC2A6F.jpeg

• Like 3

Oh missed the water movers, 4 Maxspect Gyre , I have 2 280s and 2 250. They will be controlled through the Apex with icecap modular and using a modded BRS programming schedual. 

Its going to take a bit, have the next three weekend booked with out of town trips with the dogs and judging. But it helps keep me calm while it cycles. 

Did get to order a few new toys tonight. A Avast Skimate locker and a Maxisun refugium light. I use both of these in the fishroom and love them. Having a friend help me build a long narrow ATO container for behind the tank to save space and a couple overflow guards to keep those wrasses in the tank.

Always super exciting to have a new tank!!  Don't take this the wrong way..but I would seriously consider rescaping that bad boy.   Sure, it is a highly personal choice so do what makes you stoked, but from a practical standpoint.. having the rocks against the back wall like that....its going to be a serious detritus magnet with zero flow.  Try to remember, especially with a stick tank.. once you decide on a scape and start getting SPS in there, it is really hard to change the scape around.  

Again, just my two cents, trying to help you succeed, and avoid some potential problems down the road.  What if a fish dies in the back of that rock scape.. slow release ammonia bomb...

• Like 2

Duane Oestreich helped me scape it and it’s scaled very similar to his set up. His tank is a very tall yard stick to work up too when it comes to sticks. With close to 10000 gallons of flow potential I’m not too worried about dead spot, especially using the BRS Gyre code for the Apex/Gyres. There are planned areas of high and low flow to allow for a great variance of coral shapes and forms. Once all the gyres are in and the Icecap Gyre to Apex boxes arrive I will post a few vids. 

I agree with PDX here. By the looks of the pic the rocks are creating a huge barrier for flow. I’m not sure who Duane is but maybe he knows what he’s doing here and the pics make it look worse than it is??

As for corals sps is rad but if you want to go the $$$$ route start looking into the insane amount of money mushrooms are pulling right now.... Pretty Wild. Sticks are cheap now comparatively speaking lol.

Post some pics once you have all the gyres in it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is really a temp tank until we remodel our house in a couple years. I have a 580 glass (114x36x32) waiting for that in the garage. I also have a fish room in my garage with a 190, 100gal frag tank, on a 150 gallon sump. Just picked up a frag trough to replace the 100. It’s 8ftx2ftx1ft tall. 

Duane is half the combo that did the aqua scaping talk with Mark Levisom at Reefworx.

Edited by Zach_discus
  • Like 1

Lol love some of the comments, not my first reef tank. This is really a temp tank until we remodel our house in a couple years. I have a 580 glass (114x36x32) waiting for that in the garage. I also have a fish room in my garage with a 190, 100gal frag tank, on a 150 gallon sump. Just picked up a frag trough to replace the 100. It’s 8ftx2ftx1ft tall. 

As in the comments that were just trying to help? Sounds like you have a hell of amount of volume so you must have it dialed. Take it or leave it but pdx offered solid advice whether you’re new to the hobby or been around for years, dead spots for flow can be critical in any tank and by the looks of it you will have some, unless the pictures are very deceiving it does make it look like you will battle it but I hope not! Never want to see anyone have issues with their setups.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

• 4 months later...

Hey discus, I don't see many up north of Seattle. I'm trying to get back in the hobby and I live up here (near Bothell).
That's going to be a lot of fun, I'm starting to think about a 180 next year...so it's fun to see this giant getting going

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk