Anthias hiding

Snappy

I have 4 bartletts anthias purchased 3 months ago. A couple weeks ago one started to stay put in the back where it normally sleeps. It still eats at eating time, but never goes more than 6 inches away from it hiding spot. Is this a mating thing?

26 minutes ago, Snappy said:

I have 4 bartletts anthias purchased 3 months ago. A couple weeks ago one started to stay put in the back where it normally sleeps. It still eats at eating time, but never goes more than 6 inches away from it hiding spot. Is this a mating thing?

Is this in your 28? That seems a little tight for 4 of them. They are more of a schooling fish that need some room in my experience. 

It’s in my 28. I think it’s possible that the hiding one turned male and was outcast from the group as one had already turned male earlier and is nearly double the size of the others by now. I’m really considering giving up the 4th wheel if I can find a good home for him. 

He is going to be really difficult to get a picture of. I may try today, but he hides in the back of the cave where the iPhone reaches him the least. Other 3 fish are protective for some reason too. Whenever I try to look too closely at the hider wrasse, the other 3 get in the way and block my view. I’d wondered if it is possible that the hiding wrasse is actually about to lay eggs, or maybe even laid eggs already. The big male of the group turned male months ago, so it might be possible.

I had 2 one of which cane out maybe once a month lol. It felt like I basically had one. I had them for about 6 months and the one never got comfortable to come out from hiding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk