Turn key reefer 170

PowderBlue

Haha just kidding! Little inside joke for the people that have been around for a while :)

So I have yet another tank, went with a reefer 170 to get my feet wet again. I’m leaning towards a heavy lps/sps tank. I’ve always liked torches, hammers, Duncan’s etc so most of the sand bed will be dedicated to euphyllia and Zoas, then the vast majority of the rock will be sps if I decide against a full blown lps tank.

Setup so far is of course the 170 with a white stand

2 Mp10s

20k radium metal halide

Big reef octopus skimmer

Sicce 4 return pump

I’m going to add a chaeto reactor and likely an apex along with a calcium reactor or doser down the road. Once everything is settled I’ll be on the lookout for euphyllias and sps! 3fb1aea3de4650c58a0423c808e60267.jpg

3da60dd37677c25e7d05a7a354540261.jpg7bd5da3dc9471b04934bedc565f5fa40.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I actually used a 2lf 550 media reactor I bought from you years ago and used a 20 dollar grow strip led from amazon and a super small 160gph pump to feed it out of the return chamber. Picture is from today hasn't even been running for 2 weeks yet. Started with about a loose baseball sized piece.

20190303_165003.jpg

• Like 2

I actually used a 2lf 550 media reactor I bought from you years ago and used a 20 dollar grow strip led from amazon and a super small 160gph pump to feed it out of the return chamber. Picture is from today hasn't even been running for 2 weeks yet. Started with about a loose baseball sized piece.
20190303_165003.thumb.jpg.567512d1aa5c25fe435dea72f7af70bd.jpg

Holy smokes that seems to be working well! Might go that route haha much cheeper than I expected it to be!

27 minutes ago, Vance164 said:

20190303_165003.jpg

Hey Vance = you got a pic of that setup?

Randall - you had me for a second there...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PowderBlue said:

It’s totally fine I’d like to see it to! My threads always turn into a free for all anyhow lol

Yeah - I was going to apologize for the threadjack but figured it was a given. Glad to see Vance has a better sense of decorum than I and Randall’s sense of humor is intact!

Excited to see you back with a new project Randall...  still miss that 60 lagoon though 😀

• Like 1

Yeah - I was going to apologize for the threadjack but figured it was a given. Glad to see Vance has a better sense of decorum than I and Randall’s sense of humor is intact!
Excited to see you back with a new project Randall...  still miss that 60 lagoon though [emoji3]

I miss that tank every day :(
If he sends you a pic of that reactor feel free to shoot it over!

• 3 weeks later...

Added a new pair of clowns and a jumbo cleaner shrimp (behind the rock of course) I was originally planning on a pair of storm troopers but these caught my eye and were under half the price of the storms. So with my daughter and my obsession with storm troopers she named them storm and trooper lol. She names all the fish and picks most of them for each of my tanks :)8604b725f6f42528b6f5471b28cf67ac.jpg

• Like 5

Did some cleaning today, broke out the cheap shop vac to clean out my sump and do a water change. Since the skimmer sold and I’m waiting for my new one I figured it was a good time to get all the crud out of the sump. I also ordered a small return pump to put in the sump so keep the detritus from building up in the sump. I’m debating if I want to build a refugium for the sump or not once the new skimmer arrives. The only downfall is the cure time for the silicone I won’t be able to run the sump for at least a couple days. c7482bf86733983b0ba592d1f3db7fe9.jpg2adeca866b764ef4bff6abb457b9cc21.jpg little before and after vacuum pics.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Got the temp skimmer in, I may end up just running it for a while since I got it so cheap and the RLSS I ordered showed up broken :(
I’m debating running a chaeto reactor and calling it good or just tossing in a little crate with a ball of chaeto in it and letting it tumble in the skimmer section.
I started dosing vodka so I’m curious to see how long it takes to find the amount my tank needs to keep levels down and algae under control. As of now the tank stays pretty clean so it may not take much! Had to bump the calcium doser up a little bit even with the little amount of coral in the tank. Finding the sweet spots is challenging but fun. All of the fish are healthy and doing great. We picked out a Midas Blenny and will soon trade in Dory. Now it’s time to let corals grow and obviously add more! 3ae26a0026391c300c4a7ed76e2a5c06.jpg1cebfd358877a2b64f82126b933f6922.jpg5577399821eb8de15827dba54ccee7ad.jpg