Aquatic Life T5 Hybrid Hack - Improved T5 Lighting for your Saltwater Reef Tank

What_The_Frag

Nice practical mod!  This is how it should have been setup in the first place as far as I can see and how one would want to run it.   No reason to do it they way they did other than simplicity of manufacturing (two identical lamp modules with no cross wiring).  Very useful how to!

• Like 1

On 3/1/2019 at 2:35 PM, ocboat said:

That's awesome. I have the same exact setup in 24" that I would love to mod but I'm not sure I feel comfortable doing it.  What lighting schedule do you run on your Radions and at what intensity?

I run the AB+ schedule at 50%. However I'm going to start gradually increasing them 5% each week to color up my SPS.

Nice practical mod!  This is how it should have been setup in the first place as far as I can see and how one would want to run it.   No reason to do it they way they did other than simplicity of manufacturing (two identical lamp modules with no cross wiring).  Very useful how to!

Actually how they’ve got the ballasts placed gives a neutral balance point. This modification throws that off a bit which means one hanging point will have larger load, possibly enough to see noticeable difference in deflection between hanging brackets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Bicyclebill said:

Actually how they’ve got the ballasts placed gives a neutral balance point. This modification throws that off a bit which means one hanging point will have larger load, possibly enough to see noticeable difference in deflection between hanging brackets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh no worries, the wire hanging kit Aquatic Life provides is adjustable front to back and up and down. It has these 2 points of adjustment on each side so you can balance it all out. After the modification I adjusted the front to back slightly to get it all leveled out again. I've even mounted an AI Prime HD on one side of the unit and I was still able to get everything balanced out. 

• Like 1

Wondering if you have considered replacing the factory T5 reflectors with the individual ones that are used on diy setups? It looks like the ones on the aquatic life unit are not as good as some of the other ones but its hard to say because they are not like for like. I'm not sure if the individual ones would actually fit. I have the 36" one I'm going to take some measurements and see, just not sure its worth the extra $.