Extension Cord 101

Trailermann

Since I never took this course, I am hoping someone can help me from screwing up.  I want to make the 24 volt, 1.9 amp  supply cord from my Kamoer FX-STP pump about five feet longer.  Can I simply splice in the added length (using proper soldering technique) or will there by some bad voltage drop or other problem with this modification?  What is this little round thing on the power cord in the photo, and what does it do?

aaaIMG_20190228_120407.jpg

• Like 1

As long as you use the same gauge wire as the wires inside and have good solder connections, you won’t have any issues adding length. Have you looked for an extension? Does one end have a barrel connector?

The little Black barrel looking part is a Ferrite Core (also called a Choke). It is to reduce or get rid of electrical interference or “noise” (cables with power running through them can act like antennas and interfere with other electronics or vise versa). 

• Like 2

You will be fine with extending the  cord five more feet, just make sure to size your wire correctly. That little thing is ferrite which is a paramagnetic material. A ferrite bead with a conductor through it is an inductor and so is used as a low pass filter. Typical use is for power cables to reduce electromagnetic interference.

• Like 1

The problem with adding a simple extension cord is that you end up with the bulky power brick in the middle of the line.  I want the brick to plug into the Apex EB8.  

Thanks to both Blue Z Reef and Danik for the explanation.  And yes, one end of the 24 volt cord is a barrel connector that plugs into the rear of the Kamoer pump.

Edited by Trailermann
  • Like 1

On 2/28/2019 at 9:35 PM, Trailermann said:

The problem with adding a simple extension cord is that you end up with the bulky power brick in the middle of the line.  I want the brick to plug into the Apex EB8.  

Thanks to both Blue Z Reef and Danik for the explanation.  And yes, one end of the 24 volt cord is a barrel connector that plugs into the rear of the Kamoer pump.

When I said extension, I was meaning one of these:

SIM&NAT 20AWG 10Ft 2.1mm x 5.5mm Male to Female DC Extension Wire Power Jack Adapter Barrel Plug Cable, Extension Wire for CCTV Security Camera, DVR, HDVD, LED Strip Light, Low Voltage Application … https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GPK0H4M/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_RiXFCbX96AV1D

not sure what size your connector is but verify first, that’s just an example.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Blue Z Reef said:

When I said extension, I was meaning one of these:

SIM&NAT 20AWG 10Ft 2.1mm x 5.5mm Male to Female DC Extension Wire Power Jack Adapter Barrel Plug Cable, Extension Wire for CCTV Security Camera, DVR, HDVD, LED Strip Light, Low Voltage Application … https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GPK0H4M/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_RiXFCbX96AV1D

not sure what size your connector is but verify first, that’s just an example.

Wow, never thought such a thing existed.  This could be the perfect solution.

• Like 1