Berghia Nudibranchs

SuncrestReef

I've seen a few posts recently from people looking for berghia.  FYI, they are on sale for 50% off with free shipping for orders over $75 at SaltyUnderground today.  Usually the shipping cost is what puts people off buying them online.  See https://saltyunderground.com/product/1-4-inch-berghia-nudibranch

I gave up on using my laser to eliminate aiptasia since I can't get to the ones hiding behind rocks or in my sump.  I still zap the ones I can see - just for the pure gratification - but I ordered a dozen berghia to hopefully control the rest.  

Maybe someone should put together a quick group buy if you don't want to spend $75.

Just wanted to give everyone the heads-up on this deal!

Edited by SuncrestReef
  • Like 3

I’ve only got a few aiptasia, but would happily take a single berghia to get rid of them. They are hidden in rock work where zapping them is tricky. I’m in Salem, but would grab one on a group buy if we could work out transportation logistics so I’m not driving an hour for a $5-10 nudibranch. Thanks for post, great idea. Would be awesome if someone had an aiptasia tank to breed them in for the locals. 

My nudibranchs arrived shortly after I posted above.  (I ordered mine on Sunday night)

They arrived alive and healthy.  The packaging included a heat packet inside of a styrofoam lined box, then a sealed plastic tub with the water bag inside:

IMG_5607.jpg

IMG_5608.jpg

IMG_5609.jpg

IMG_5610.jpg

IMG_5614.jpg

Screen Shot 2019-02-26 at 11.10.52 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-02-26 at 11.11.38 AM.png

Everyone always says they never see their nudibranchs after putting them in the tank.  Here's why...watch how they can disappear in a tiny hole:

Edited by SuncrestReef
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Snappy said:

I’ve only got a few aiptasia, but would happily take a single berghia to get rid of them. They are hidden in rock work where zapping them is tricky. I’m in Salem, but would grab one on a group buy if we could work out transportation logistics so I’m not driving an hour for a $5-10 nudibranch. Thanks for post, great idea. Would be awesome if someone had an aiptasia tank to breed them in for the locals. 

You will need more than one berghia nudibranch.  They need to breed in order to effectively hunt and feed.  They actually work in "packs" to attack aiptasia.

Today I noticed for the first time that the nudibranchs are working.  One particular aiptasia has been nagging me for months because I could see it on the side of a rock, but couldn't get a direct enough angle with the laser to kill it.  Today, it's gone!

I might try to look for them tonight with a flashlight to see if I can catch them feeding.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, albertareef said:

I’m sure pretty much any wrasse would make short work of them if they show themselves in the light 😳

The acclimation instructions that came with the nudibranchs said to feed your fish, then turn off the lights and pumps and carefully place the nudibranchs on the rocks.  I assume this is so the fish have hopefully lost their appetite.   They went into hiding places immediately.

48 minutes ago, SuncrestReef said:

The acclimation instructions that came with the nudibranchs said to feed your fish, then turn off the lights and pumps and carefully place the nudibranchs on the rocks.  I assume this is so the fish have hopefully lost their appetite.   They went into hiding places immediately.

Survival instinct for the win!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I spotted one of my nudibranchs tonight for the first time since introducing them into my tank in February.  It has really grown!  It's at least 4x larger than when I got them, so obviously they've been eating well.  I still have aiptasia, but I've noticed some of them magically disappearing overnight.

Glad to know they're still alive!

Screen Shot 2019-04-10 at 9.57.13 PM.png

• Like 7

• 4 weeks later...

Update:

There's been a huge drop in aiptasia this month!  Right now I can only find 3 in my tank, and I really had to look to find them.  Last month I'd easily spot 10 or 20 aiptasia and was still occasionally zapping some with my laser.  I'd say the nudibranchs have been a big success in just over 2 months.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SuncrestReef said:

Update:

There's been a huge drop in aiptasia this month!  Right now I can only find 3 in my tank, and I really had to look to find them.  Last month I'd easily spot 10 or 20 aiptasia and was still occasionally zapping some with my laser.  I'd say the nudibranchs have been a big success in just over 2 months.

Good news!  Do you think you will be able to catch any to re-home them once your aptasia are gone?

7 minutes ago, albertareef said:

Good news!  Do you think you will be able to catch any to re-home them once your aptasia are gone?

I'd love to if I can find them.  I've only spotted one of them in over a month, and when they're on the rocks they can disappear into holes very quickly, so I'm not sure how easy it would be to catch them.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

For the past week I have not been able to find ANY aiptasia in my tank or sump.  I think I can officially call this experiment a success!  I feel bad for the nudibranchs because I'm sure they starved and I haven't seen any signs of them for some time, but they accomplished their mission admirably. 

It took roughly 3 months.  If any of you have an aiptasia problem, I'd highly recommend this solution.  You just have to be patient as they quietly do their work every night.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

• 1 month later...
On 5/29/2019 at 11:34 AM, SuncrestReef said:

For the past week I have not been able to find ANY aiptasia in my tank or sump.  I think I can officially call this experiment a success!  I feel bad for the nudibranchs because I'm sure they starved and I haven't seen any signs of them for some time, but they accomplished their mission admirably. 

It took roughly 3 months.  If any of you have an aiptasia problem, I'd highly recommend this solution.  You just have to be patient as they quietly do their work every night.

Did you place any in the sump? I get my 12 berghia delivered tomorrow and i wonder if I should put some of them directly in the sump and overflow

Edited by Manny Tavan

I like the filefish option. I had "carpets" of aiptisa on my rocks. Drop a filefish in and all seems gone in a week. Filefish is not colorful but is very willing to eat flakes and any meaty food off my hand. When I'm gone for extended period, it has a hard time competing for pellets so got kinda skinny. I don't keep softies so I don't know they will munch on zoas or not, but they do love acans.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...