Magnetic frag rack

Snappy

I’m wanting to add a little more frag real estate to my tank in the 28 gallon cube. Adding more rock to the main base is not ideal for a few spacing reasons, so I’m considering the magnetic inserts or frag racks. I have a 9 plug rack now that is fine, but it’s plain plastic. I’ve seen the rock looking frag shelves online and considered them. Does anyone have much experience or recommendations with them? Is magnetic rack the way to go, or would one consider using reef glue to adhere one to the back of the aquarium is inside the overflow? Does anyone have experience gluing corals or frags to the aquarium walls?

thanks

I got the eshopps 12" rack from amazon from my Mother in Law for Chrismas and really like it, i think it was about 30 bucks.  I believe All things had them in stock when I was there a few months ago, or it was very similar.

Good for acclimation to lights etc.

IMG_5900.JPG

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Vance164 said:

I just made one out of egg crate and some magnets. nice and cheap pictures aren't the best 

20190225_210517.jpg

Do you have to buy special megnets for this like ones that wont rust or whatever or where do you get them this looks like a good idea

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, kjlife said:

Do you have to buy special megnets for this like ones that wont rust or whatever or where do you get them this looks like a good idea

I bought some waterproof magnets from amazon that had a few reef safe reviews. they are encased in some type of plastic. 

• Like 2

Lots of great ideas for the simplistic approach.

Does anyone have experience with artificial rock style shelves? I have a frag rack currently that is a simple, interchangeable design. I'm considering the long term applications of a more permanent frag shelf. Perhaps "frag" shelf wouldnt be the term anymore. I'm considering the idea of having a rock looking shelf that gets encrusted with corals. Tunze makes one. Kind of spendy though. Perhaps someone here has or knows someone who has experience with gluing small reef shelves onto the back of the aquarium? I've also seen many showcase aquariums with LARGE monti caps and such growing right on the tank. Main thing here is that for this season of life, a 28 gallon cube is all thats in my cards. Without being able to upsize gallons or add an extra tank, I'm trying to suffice my reefer addictions in my current situation.

23 minutes ago, Snappy said:

Lots of great ideas for the simplistic approach.

Does anyone have experience with artificial rock style shelves? I have a frag rack currently that is a simple, interchangeable design. I'm considering the long term applications of a more permanent frag shelf. Perhaps "frag" shelf wouldnt be the term anymore. I'm considering the idea of having a rock looking shelf that gets encrusted with corals. Tunze makes one. Kind of spendy though. Perhaps someone here has or knows someone who has experience with gluing small reef shelves onto the back of the aquarium? I've also seen many showcase aquariums with LARGE monti caps and such growing right on the tank. Main thing here is that for this season of life, a 28 gallon cube is all thats in my cards. Without being able to upsize gallons or add an extra tank, I'm trying to suffice my reefer addictions in my current situation.

One other option to consider are magnetic frag discs - at least for your montis.  These allow you to move things around if you need to which is nice and you don't have to worry about trying to glue something to the side of your tank.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lazyreefer said:

Cerameco has really cool designs for shelves and racks and structures too I got some shelves and the barnacle magnetic frag rack and they are super cool! https://aqua-tecture.com/collections/frag-plugs-and-stations

Seem to be popular- I see several of them are sold out. Definitely a nice variety of shapes and sizes!

• Like 1

If you want to go this rout and have access to a 3d printer, there are a ton of free 3d models of frag racks. This way also enables you to to make it any size, shape, color, etc. that you want too. And will only cost a couple bucks for plastic and electricity.

Here's a website that has quite a few: https://m.yeggi.com/q/frag+rack/

• Like 2

7 hours ago, BeardUp said:

I love the bonsai racks they have, I might have to set up another small tank for one. 

Yea I started a bonsai tree with acans and Favias for the branches and trying to get an orange lepto to cover it like bark really excited to see it grow out 🤷🏻‍♂️

6F925DAD-9B95-4C2C-A127-0850AEF9ED0F.jpeg

314DCC59-4EDC-4F1C-9A51-9E7531B10D8D.jpeg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

What did your bonsai cost? Some are $240 and that’s a bit out of my budget....

Bonsai is a cool space adding shape. I also like the magnetic frag plug idea. I think between the two, I can add much more corals and colour to my 28 cube. Thanks guys

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/28/2019 at 10:36 AM, NateDawg said:

If you want to go this rout and have access to a 3d printer, there are a ton of free 3d models of frag racks. This way also enables you to to make it any size, shape, color, etc. that you want too. And will only cost a couple bucks for plastic and electricity.

Here's a website that has quite a few: https://m.yeggi.com/q/frag+rack/

Does anyone have access to a 3D printer for making magnetic frag racks/inserts? They get real expensive to purchase a Tunze rack, and I'm not comfortable trusting an unknown brand in my reef aquarium. Has anyone printed their own here?

On 3/12/2019 at 12:18 PM, Snappy said:

What did your bonsai cost? Some are $240 and that’s a bit out of my budget....

Bonsai is a cool space adding shape. I also like the magnetic frag plug idea. I think between the two, I can add much more corals and colour to my 28 cube. Thanks guys

It was like 80$ I believe, still love how it looks in the tank and starting to get encrusted 

Could you please share a front facing pic? I'd ended up ordering the magnetic frag plug 6 piece for $20 after shipping from AquaCave.com and just got them a few hours ago. I'll install some tonight and post pics. I still will likely be purchasing or building my own additions of a magnetic shelf and maybe bonsai too. It has real potential for expanding precious tank real estate.

So long term picture, when the colonies grow out and try and go to war with each other, do you just break a branch off? I’m trying to plan distance better on some corals as I’ve has some problems with invasive takeovers. 

Side note, love your tank. We have fairly similar setups in a lot of areas. I wonder if you got the blue pavonia from me at a meeting? Haha

i have an orange acan colony, red and blue war coral, and most of your corals or close to it. Purple green galaxia coral? I have a watchman goby shrimp combo too. 

Im experimenting with mag frag disks now.