Need help with Keeping my pH up.

H20cooled

Well I'm completely frustrated with my pH fluctuations, my pH peaks during the day at 8.07 and at night goes down to as low as 7.67. To counter act this I've done the following with no success.

• Nilsen reactor for top off (kalk reactor)

• Added a 2nd chamber on my CA reactor

• A large fan running on my sump 24/7 to increase evaporation

• Leaving the window next to the tank open to aid in Co2 dispersal

So far this hasn't seemed to affect my SPS but I really would like to cut this down to a smaller fluctuation.

Does anyone have any recommendations for maintaining the pH?

Thanx,

Rich

Hey man,

been there done that. I tried all the same thing you tried and nothign worked for me. I take it you are using a calc reactor? The only way that I raised my pH was to set up an air stone directly under where the effluent drips into the sump. This raises the pH of the effluent, hence raising the pH of the tank.

If you dont have a calc reactor then I would try to run your skimmer air intake outside somehow. I ran mine behind a wall to a crawl space that is heavily vented to the outside.

All of these steps did not necessarily help the swing but they stopped the swing from going low. Now my pH goes from 8.05 to 8.2 instead of what you have. HTH

Dan

Yep I have a Calc reactor, I built a container with an airstone in it to do just this, also did not help at all.

My skimmer is right next to the window, I haven't tried plumbing the air tube directly outside but I could very easily do that.

Rich

Hey man,

been there done that. I tried all the same thing you tried and nothign worked for me. I take it you are using a calc reactor? The only way that I raised my pH was to set up an air stone directly under where the effluent drips into the sump. This raises the pH of the effluent, hence raising the pH of the tank.

If you dont have a calc reactor then I would try to run your skimmer air intake outside somehow. I ran mine behind a wall to a crawl space that is heavily vented to the outside.

All of these steps did not necessarily help the swing but they stopped the swing from going low. Now my pH goes from 8.05 to 8.2 instead of what you have. HTH

Dan

How about your ALK what is it currently at? I would suspect as you suspect that your pH is low becuase of excess CO2. I had exactly the same problem and opened every window I could with no results.

Have you tried taking a little bit of water and airating it outside and testing the pH? If the pH goes up you have a CO2 problem, if it doesnt then its some other factor.

Perhaps your effluent is running too rich on the CO2 side, hence adding too much CO2 to the water. Just trying to throw out ideas.

drock59,

I haven't tried airating the water outside but I will try that. Haven't tested the ALK in a while but I can do that also.

inkto,

I could very easily change my effulent output to my skimmer, which I might do.

Thanx,

Rich

Yeah, Drock is thinking what I am thinking. Check the co2. Do you have a PH controller on the reactor? Does your calcium reactor have a second chamber? Have you changed the substrate recently, if not... it's a good buffer and removes old organics. Also think about the other side of the equation; What about your bioload, ever considered running ozone?

I have a Neptune AC3 that controls and monitors the co2. Yep there is a 2nd chamber on the Calc reactor. I haven't changed any substrate for a while.

Bioload is fine for the tank, don't want ozone as it removes to much from the water that I want to keep. Plus it is not good with Zeovit & Prodobio products.

I will test the water tonight after airating it outside to see what the pH is.

Its been several months since I calibrated the probes, so I will do that this weekend. I calibrate with 10. & 7. and new fluid everytime. But even if they are off it still doesn't explain that big of a flucuation.

Yeah the controller is setup to stop the Co2 if the tank pH gets to low and also to maintain the reactor pH at the correct level through the control of the co2 input.

Bob,

So are you saying if the output on the reactor is lower then my sump raise the reactor? Or are you saying if the end of the tube for my output is lower the the sump raise it? Also why would this cause higher pH?

Rich

Rich' date=' does the water from the calcium reactor return drain under the water level in your sump? If so raise it above the water line and that may help too.[/quote']

Well the effulant into the skimmer made no difference. So, I tested my CA & Alk this am. Well the CA is at 410 (which is fine) but my KH is at 5.4dkh (which is way to low). I also took a cup of tank water outside and airated it for an hour, the starting pH was 7.60 and after an hour it was at 7.70. So, I think my problem is not with excess Co2 in the air but with the low ALK. So, I'm working on raising the ALK with Randy's Recipe (Baking soda).

Rich

I think in the end the combination of changes will be necessary to get your levels stable. The addition of kalkwasser probably took care of any excess CO2 issues already. That in addition with correcting your ALK levels will hopefully take care of it. The only other thing I can think of is to put your Nielsen reactor on a nighttime cycle to help curb the ph swing. Your ph may still be a bit lower than you want it but stability is better in the long run.

Also... I don't know how long you've had the Nielsen reactor running but it may take several weeks to see your levels change and stabilize. I was having a hell of time keeping my alk up even dripping kalk 24/7 until I added vinegar to the solution. After that change ALK slowly came up over the course of 6-8 weeks and is stable.

good luck with the detective work,

ben

Ben,

yeah I think you are right about everything stabilizing after I get the Alk back in line.

I was dripping kalk water before the addition of the Nielsen reactor, I added the Nielsen to try to improve my pH and also the way that I topped off my system. I'm quite suprise my Alk got that low though, between the Kalk and CA reator there should be plenty...

Rich