Pew Pew Pew

Krux

I wanted to share my success with a laser that I picked up after watching Melev's video on the same model.

I have zapped aiptasia, mushrooms, and montipora and pocillopora that encrusted where I didn't want them to.  It helped buying a couple of sets of higher capacity batteries and a second charger.  Shipping took about 5 days.

Highly recommended!

Image of listing in case anyone wants to find the same thing....

LAZORZ!!!!

IMG_6307.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I've been using my laser for about 4 months now.  It works great on the aiptasia you can see and have a clean line of sight to reach with the laser, but the ones behind rocks or in the sump keep reproducing so it's a never ending battle.  

But I never get tired of hearing that crackling sound as the laser cooks them!  I'm zapping about 10 per week on average as they pop up.

At some point I'll probably get some berghia nudibranchs.

• Like 2

I have had to rotate a couple of rocks, and have gotten pretty good at the top down shot.   The laser won't hit more than about 30" away from the glass (focusing issue).  I can't see anything else that I want to kill at this point, but I am sure there are some offenders hiding somewhere.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Reefer503 said:

I really thought this was a satire piece... these are really and can remove unwanted pests from your tank?

The lasers are real, and they do work, as long as you have an unobstructed line of sight to the aiptasia.  I started a thread about this back in November with photos and a video of zapping an aiptasia:  

The only problem is that any aiptasia that grow in spots you can't hit with the laser will continue to multiply.

• Like 1

The only zoas I have are my PPE's and I am not looking to nuke them.  I will see if there is a stray polyp at the meeting on Sunday that someone wants to donate for science and will try it.out.

As mentioned above, you need to turn the focus rung to get any heat, it is like using a magnifying glass to fry ants... the glass isn't in any danger.

Shameless plug, looking for Kedds Reds and Tubbs Blues, lol.

Edited by Krux

1 hour ago, Flash21 said:

Is this basically the same one that would do the job?!?

Thanks 

9B358C18-FA86-4378-8290-B75A3E991CC6.png

I have a hard time believing this is actually a 5 Watt laser.  500 MilliWatts perhaps, but unlikely 5 watts.  Mine is a 4000 mW (or 4 Watt) laser and it cost significantly more.  I did a ton of research before buying mine and found a guy on YouTube who frequently tests popular lasers with a sensor that reads the actual laser power.  Many that said they were 3 Watt or 4 Watt were actually 300 mW or 400 mW.  Apparently there are a lot of mislabeled products out there.

The seller doesn't say what class this laser it.  See http://www.laserpointersafety.com/laserclasses.html.  You will want a Class 4 laser.

Edited by SuncrestReef