PowderBlue

Who’s an expert at plumbing

I’m going to be setting up a Red Sea 170 but I want to re plumb it to tie in a calcium reactor and a gfo reactor/media tumbler or 2. I have typically always just run overflow and returns and then had everything separate but I want these tied in so it’s cleaner. I know I’ll need valves for each of them but with such a limited space I need a pro to help out. I’ll buy the purple pvc and whatever else I need from BRS but I’d love if someone who is confident could come by and take a look before I place the order so I can get everything in one shot. I have no problem compensating for your time. I have no frags or anything at the moment but I can get lunch and beers or just give ya some cash whatever works best for you! I’m in Oregon city.

This is the look I’m going for, but obviously in a more confined space. 850749f99c7f6ca881fc8a8f486262c0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’d be happy to take a look.  Here’s a mock-up before I glued the current manifold for my Reefer 425 XL:

1910B0BC-388F-4369-9367-250E0180036D.jpeg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, SuncrestReef said:

I’d be happy to take a look.  Here’s a mock-up before I glued the current manifold for my Reefer 425 XL:

1910B0BC-388F-4369-9367-250E0180036D.jpeg

Wow! You should just be the clubs resident plumber!

• Thanks 1

Here’s the key phrase:

mock-up before I glued

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1910B0BC-388F-4369-9367-250E0180036D.thumb.jpeg.6fc8ade1612369d457ea39bd8259d6b2.jpeg

That’s awesome! Once I get the tank and plumbing I will definitely get in touch!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, xmas_one said:

Here’s the key phrase:

mock-up before I glued

That’s the truth.  You only get one chance with PVC glue.  On my mixing station plumbing I made the mistake of forgetting to place the collar on a union joint before gluing and had to cut it off and buy a new union.

3 hours ago, SuncrestReef said:

That’s the truth.  You only get one chance with PVC glue.  On my mixing station plumbing I made the mistake of forgetting to place the collar on a union joint before gluing and had to cut it off and buy a new union.

That’s the only reason to use threaded stuff in my opinion. But gluing is much faster as long as you test fit everything and hope you pushed in far enough at mock up!! I find the colored stuff does not pull apart or push together as easy but def adds so flare to the finish 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SuncrestReef said:

If that is the only mistake you made then you are golden.  Something always goes wrong... or maybe that's just me.  Note to Randall - don't let me do your plumbing!

• Like 1

here is my closed loop plumbing.....

1947306590_closedloop.jpg.c2734b9c5b5858a884459dcaac0a06f4.jpg

So you’re telling me there’s a chance

We can make it fit!   What is underneath where your aquarium is going to go? 

BTW, that is not my closed loop system... random internet picture. :)

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, pdxmonkeyboy said:

BTW, that is not my closed loop system... random internet picture. :)

Good point...I could have 2,600 sq ft of sump space if I go down through the flooring!

See... that should be JUST enough room.   

You know you are doing it right when you don't have to bend over to clean your skimmer, change socks, change water flows. 

• Like 1

BTW, that is not my closed loop system... random internet picture.

Unfortunately mine is under the house with basically no access I used to have it through my wall into the garage but this isn’t big enough to justify that... yet haha!

BTW, that is not my closed loop system... random internet picture.

Good thing you came clean before the whole club is at your house for frag swap!!

3 hours ago, PowderBlue said:

Unfortunately mine is under the house with basically no access I used to have it through my wall into the garage but this isn’t big enough to justify that... yet haha!

That won’t stop Brian - he can always find a way!

10 hours ago, albertareef said:

That won’t stop Brian - he can always find a way!

LOL, that is not necessarily true. 

It's not like I had to plumb my current tank through the wall, down into the crawl space, across several floor joists, back into the interior of the house, across the room on top of a finished ceiling, around a support beam, through another wall and then to my sump.  That would be ridiculous! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2