Who’s an expert at plumbing

PowderBlue

I’m going to be setting up a Red Sea 170 but I want to re plumb it to tie in a calcium reactor and a gfo reactor/media tumbler or 2. I have typically always just run overflow and returns and then had everything separate but I want these tied in so it’s cleaner. I know I’ll need valves for each of them but with such a limited space I need a pro to help out. I’ll buy the purple pvc and whatever else I need from BRS but I’d love if someone who is confident could come by and take a look before I place the order so I can get everything in one shot. I have no problem compensating for your time. I have no frags or anything at the moment but I can get lunch and beers or just give ya some cash whatever works best for you! I’m in Oregon city.

This is the look I’m going for, but obviously in a more confined space. 850749f99c7f6ca881fc8a8f486262c0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, xmas_one said:

Here’s the key phrase:

mock-up before I glued

That’s the truth.  You only get one chance with PVC glue.  On my mixing station plumbing I made the mistake of forgetting to place the collar on a union joint before gluing and had to cut it off and buy a new union.

3 hours ago, SuncrestReef said:

That’s the truth.  You only get one chance with PVC glue.  On my mixing station plumbing I made the mistake of forgetting to place the collar on a union joint before gluing and had to cut it off and buy a new union.

That’s the only reason to use threaded stuff in my opinion. But gluing is much faster as long as you test fit everything and hope you pushed in far enough at mock up!! I find the colored stuff does not pull apart or push together as easy but def adds so flare to the finish 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SuncrestReef said:

If that is the only mistake you made then you are golden.  Something always goes wrong... or maybe that's just me.  Note to Randall - don't let me do your plumbing!

• Like 1

We can make it fit!   What is underneath where your aquarium is going to go? 

BTW, that is not my closed loop system... random internet picture. [emoji4]

Unfortunately mine is under the house with basically no access I used to have it through my wall into the garage but this isn’t big enough to justify that... yet haha!

We can make it fit!   What is underneath where your aquarium is going to go? 

BTW, that is not my closed loop system... random internet picture. [emoji4]

Good thing you came clean before the whole club is at your house for frag swap!!

3 hours ago, PowderBlue said:

Unfortunately mine is under the house with basically no access I used to have it through my wall into the garage but this isn’t big enough to justify that... yet haha!

That won’t stop Brian - he can always find a way!

10 hours ago, albertareef said:

That won’t stop Brian - he can always find a way!

LOL, that is not necessarily true. 

It's not like I had to plumb my current tank through the wall, down into the crawl space, across several floor joists, back into the interior of the house, across the room on top of a finished ceiling, around a support beam, through another wall and then to my sump.  That would be ridiculous! 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

• 2 months later...
On 2/5/2019 at 9:27 PM, PowderBlue said:

I’m going to be setting up a Red Sea 170 but I want to re plumb it to tie in a calcium reactor and a gfo reactor/media tumbler or 2. I have typically always just run overflow and returns and then had everything separate but I want these tied in so it’s cleaner. I know I’ll need valves for each of them but with such a limited space I need a pro to help out. I’ll buy the purple pvc and whatever else I need from BRS but I’d love if someone who is confident could come by and take a look before I place the order so I can get everything in one shot. I have no problem compensating for your time. I have no frags or anything at the moment but I can get lunch and beers or just give ya some cash whatever works best for you! I’m in Oregon city.

This is the look I’m going for, but obviously in a more confined space. 850749f99c7f6ca881fc8a8f486262c0.jpg

Did you end up getting this project put together? I will be working on my manifold on my max 170 shortly and looking for some inspiration.

Did you end up getting this project put together? I will be working on my manifold on my max 170 shortly and looking for some inspiration.

Not yet pvc is in my car in brs but haven’t bought it all yet still trying to figure out if I’m gonna it mod my sump or not

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, householdofpayne said:

As you saw in my post above, I got pretty creative and had to do some PVC gymnastics to get everything to fit in my sump.  Let me know if you need any help.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, SuncrestReef said:

As you saw in my post above, I got pretty creative and had to do some PVC gymnastics to get everything to fit in my sump.  Let me know if you need any help.

Your plumbing is absolutely beautiful! I'm gonna work on a sketch rough draft, and bring it to a meeting to chat with ya!

4 minutes ago, householdofpayne said:

Your plumbing is absolutely beautiful! I'm gonna work on a sketch rough draft, and bring it to a meeting to chat with ya!

Sounds good.  I'll be at the CNC Cinco de Mayo party.  I'll try not to drip salsa on your drawings, but no guarantee. 🌮🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, householdofpayne said:

And if you want to see a few different views of the final product, take a look at this post from my R2R build thread:

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/suncrestreefs-red-sea-reefer-xl-425-build.358990/page-3#post-4558220

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SuncrestReef said:

And if you want to see a few different views of the final product, take a look at this post from my R2R build thread:

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/suncrestreefs-red-sea-reefer-xl-425-build.358990/page-3#post-4558220

How did you determine flow on your uv? I noticed you had gate valves you could adjust. Is there like an in-line flowmeter?