Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Jfruity24

Berghia Nudibranch?

Recommended Posts

Does anyone have any of these guys local or maybe all finished up with some that they would want to pass on?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mine are still hard at work!  If they become available, will post.

They really work, but it takes a couple of months for them to breed, raise babies, and decimate!

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We got a 25 pack of them for our sea horse tank 1 week ago and i can already see results. The rock we initially placed them all on is now aiptasia free. Plenty of others for them to move on to. Hopefully after they have had a hatch in the tank we can start farming them out to people. Will also post when we can do that.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TheClark said:

Mine are still hard at work!  If they become available, will post.

They really work, but it takes a couple of months for them to breed, raise babies, and decimate!

 

I can be patient if it leads to the decimation of aptasia!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Bobbi said:

Wouldn't mind one too lol

My understanding is that you need more than one because they need to breed to keep up with aiptasia.  This site has a calculator to estimate the number you'd need for your tank size and infestation level:

https://saltyunderground.com/category/berghia-qanda
(scroll about half way down the page)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds like they need to go from tank to tank because once the Anastasia runs out they die off. Perfect critter to have on rotation in a club but not great for any one tank.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, hotdrop said:

Sounds like they need to go from tank to tank because once the Anastasia runs out they die off. Perfect critter to have on rotation in a club but not great for any one tank.

I love autocorrect so much...

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^ Yes, I'd be upset with Anastasia in my tank as well. A little optimistic to think you're going to find these nudibranchs and pull them out to share though...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Bicyclebill said:

^ Yes, I'd be upset with Anastasia in my tank as well. A little optimistic to think you're going to find these nudibranchs and pull them out to share though...

I think wouldn't be to hard. I was in last night at 9pm to work on stuff and being the first night there since we put them in i had to see if i could find any. Found 6 big ones working around.  I figure once they have populated i can remove some the same way i put them in.......with a turkey baster and deposit them into a tall glass jar in the sump.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MrBret said:

I think wouldn't be to hard. I was in last night at 9pm to work on stuff and being the first night there since we put them in i had to see if i could find any. Found 6 big ones working around.  I figure once they have populated i can remove some the same way i put them in.......with a turkey baster and deposit them into a tall glass jar in the sump.

Bret, do you have any wrasses in that tank?  Wondering how well they survive (if at all) with daytime predators.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is our sea horse only tank.........just seahorses, some nassarius snails a few astrias and now the berghia. I watched the seahorses check them out when first putting in the tank and they didn't seem interested in having a bite. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, albertareef said:

Bret, do you have any wrasses in that tank?  Wondering how well they survive (if at all) with daytime predators.

From what I hear if you have a wrasse they will become a snack pretty quickly........

I wanted to try but have a few I decided it was an expensive experiment.......

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I put about 12 in my 120 gallon tank about a year ago that had a mild aptasia population that contains several wrasses.  They wiped out the aptasia in less than a month but I never did see them after I put them in my tank so I couldn't pass them on.  I also added 6 to my small refugium that was full of aptasia.  They did get rid of them in that tank too but now they are returning.  No return of the aptasia still in my 120.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×