Something is brewing in Vancouver

The ReefBox

Something is brewing in Vancouver. More info to follow I have a question for my reefer peeps. If all things are equal and prices and selection are great would you care if shop was in a light industrial warehouse (like the old OIAB)  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Do you have a preference of type of location

• Yes
    • No

1 hour ago, albertareef said:

That is exciting news. Settle on a name yet?  Sounds like you won’t be reviving the River City Corals brand - not so sure about monkey boy Corals though 😄

It is exciting!  However, you can't call it river city corals if it is not in River City.  So, you are either stuck with Monkeyboy Corals or Vantucky Reef Supply.  :)

• Haha 2

unfortunately no, I am many things but an artist i am certainly not.

maybe i could throw in some dead acros in there? Or a tang with Ich?

No, wait, i got it....how could i draw a picture of a guy that spends $100 a year in your store asking for a "deal"?

But being serious, all you need is a picture of Jorge with no shirt on...BOOM!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, pdxmonkeyboy said:

No, wait, i got it....how could i draw a picture of a guy that spends $100 a year in your store asking for a "deal"?

Better yet, scrubbing tanks with no shirt on! Lol.. jk.. good luck brother! Glad to see you moving along with your plans.

22 minutes ago, Flashy Fins said:

I think the level of wealth required to leave a coral shop with enough money to tip strippers is beyond our demographics here.

Can you even claim to be in this hobby if you don’t empty your account every visit to the LFS?

That’s what we like to hear. As long as you leave with box full of goodies!!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kingfisher said:

Greatly looking forward to a new vancouver location. As much as i love all the shops down south, its a really long drive for me, so a nice Vancouver location would be fantastic.

Hope I can live up to your guys expectations and bring the same quality you are used with stores across the River!!

• Like 1

I think the level of wealth required to leave a coral shop with enough money to tip strippers is beyond our demographics here.
Can you even claim to be in this hobby if you don’t empty your account every visit to the LFS?

Hahahahaha that’s awesome.
I just budget for each! It’s a win win lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Haha 1

On 1/26/2019 at 10:48 AM, viper55 said:

Question I have is if all things are equal and selection/prices are great...does anyone care or have a preference if the shop was oriented in a light industrial warehouse setting (like tge old OIAB) or do you prefer a retail pad in a strip mall?  I personally like the warehouse version as it allows more flexible hours, the ability to build out myself and set up shop for custom stand and tank builds. Please let me know your thoughts!!

I think it depends on the clientele you are hoping to have.  Asking here, you are polling a self-selecting group of a lot of fairly hard-core reefers.  I suspect many of us know exactly what we are interested in and would like the warehouse style shop with rows of frag tanks full of bright corals, and the basics for dry goods.  Kinda like a gadget-oriented person who knows what they are looking for would prefer a Fry's Electronics over a Best Buy.

But on the other hand, if I am divorced dad trying to bond with my child over her interest in Finding Nemo and want a reliable LFS so I can learn how to set up a saltwater tank together with my kid, perhaps getting bitten by the "upgrade" bug down the line... I might get intimidated by a warehouse-style place.  It could feel like it was "pros-only"...

I moved up here from Orange County California, where there were a ridiculous number of LFS around, and when I was a noob, I totally felt unwelcome at some of the fancy warehousey ones with their endless rows of frag tanks with pricey fuzzy sticks and $65+ per head polyp frags.  The owners/workers were so busy and interested in hanging out and "talking reef" with their local regulars that they made newcomers feel they had no place there.

Anyway, I'm not sure how to vote, so I will abstain. :)  Right now I think I do prefer the idea of a warehouse setting, but me ten years ago would vote strip mall.  Good luck with your venture, I hope it works out.

• Like 2

On 1/30/2019 at 1:56 PM, pdxmonkeyboy said:

On 1/30/2019 at 6:26 PM, spectra said:

Not if it has Victorias Secret on one side and a tap room on the other.............just saying :popcorn:

The discrepancies of our demographics to "like" a post is both present and hilarious.

I think bringing @Jorge to the next event, might just please everyone. 

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, InLikeFlynn said:

I think it depends on the clientele you are hoping to have.  Asking here, you are polling a self-selecting group of a lot of fairly hard-core reefers.  I suspect many of us know exactly what we are interested in and would like the warehouse style shop with rows of frag tanks full of bright corals, and the basics for dry goods.  Kinda like a gadget-oriented person who knows what they are looking for would prefer a Fry's Electronics over a Best Buy.

But on the other hand, if I am divorced dad trying to bond with my child over her interest in Finding Nemo and want a reliable LFS so I can learn how to set up a saltwater tank together with my kid, perhaps getting bitten by the "upgrade" bug down the line... I might get intimidated by a warehouse-style place.  It could feel like it was "pros-only"...

I moved up here from Orange County California, where there were a ridiculous number of LFS around, and when I was a noob, I totally felt unwelcome at some of the fancy warehousey ones with their endless rows of frag tanks with pricey fuzzy sticks and $65+ per head polyp frags.  The owners/workers were so busy and interested in hanging out and "talking reef" with their local regulars that they made newcomers feel they had no place there.

Anyway, I'm not sure how to vote, so I will abstain. :)  Right now I think I do prefer the idea of a warehouse setting, but me ten years ago would vote strip mall.  Good luck with your venture, I hope it works out.

I appreciate you taking the time to explain both sides of the poll. I can appreciate both views and would strive to meet in the middle and fulfill both ends of the spectrum!! I am a people person, I like to shake hands, give hugs fist bumps.  Whatever I don’t care! In my mind I will cater to all walks of life, big budget or small. If you just wanna come in and talk reef.....we can do that too!!

• Like 2

I have watching on the sidelines for about 10yrs.  I don't have a tank yet and been in the background for sometime. I have been to most of the shops in the area over the last 8yrs or so.  I like personally like  the open warehouse  feeling that is easy to find.   Also I would suggest just from my exp,  have basic entry level tanks set up.  I thought OIB was decent and they were nice to me even thought I never bought anything.  The thing that  caught my eye was the little standard 10 gallon tank with a cheap light and HOB filter hanging on the back.  Simple and basic stuff but also  he had a larger tank  that was pretty cool with a sump.  Entry level small frags would be great.  Hope it helps and look forward to bringing my kids in. :)   

P.S.  I was on here a while ago before they change the format so I lost all my post. :)

Edited by waldoz

Those are some very interesting points.  One thing that might be cool to have for beginners is to advertise an "intro to reef tanks" class or seminar.  Just some 2 hour class to talk about what it takes, what all the equipment is, maintenance requirements.  

A reef tank is daunting... its even daunting at times to people with lots of knowledge.  One only needs to look at the success of the 52-weeks or reefing series to know that there is an untapped market of people that are interested but have no idea where to begin. 

I mean.. if some newb heard me talking in a store he would hear something like "yeah, my millipora isn't doing so well, so I moved my maxspect 250 lower and programmed a new anti synced flow regime, I will probably just frag it to see if the RTN stops, at least until my GFO catches up with my phosphates" 

And then they would say "this is not for me" 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1