Hello from Garden Home

Zalick

I started my first reef tank in 1998, had a 45 hex, 10g and 20 long. Consolidated to the 20 long and ran that until a sea apple crashed the whole tank in 2003.  Was out of hobby until 2010.  Currently I have a 300g acrylic made by James running a mixed reef.  I'm also an avid diver/underwater photographer and my wife and I dive a new tropical reef every year.  This causes a moral dilemma for me when purchasing wild fish.   I no longer purchase wild coral, only aquacultered.

• Like 3

Welcome, Zalick!  I also live in Garden Home.  I'd love for you to post some pictures--of your tank and of your underwater shots.  There are some amazing photographers here, and every month we have a Picture of the Month with a different theme.  I hope you will make it to the meeting on Sunday at Upscales.  

Holly

1 hour ago, Zalick said:

I started my first reef tank in 1998, had a 45 hex, 10g and 20 long. Consolidated to the 20 long and ran that until a sea apple crashed the whole tank in 2003.  Was out of hobby until 2010.  Currently I have a 300g acrylic made by James running a mixed reef.  I'm also an avid diver/underwater photographer and my wife and I dive a new tropical reef every year.  This causes a moral dilemma for me when purchasing wild fish.   I no longer purchase wild coral, only aquacultered.

What has been your favorite reef so far?  I've been diving at the Great Barrier Reef, Belize, Hawaii, St. Kitts, and St. Lucia.  So far Belize has been my favorite.  I was disappointed in Australia due to so much bleaching.

Welcome to the group.  Like Holly mentioned above, we love to see photos here!

1 hour ago, Gil&Fin said:

Welcome, Zalick!  I also live in Garden Home.  I'd love for you to post some pictures--of your tank and of your underwater shots.  There are some amazing photographers here, and every month we have a Picture of the Month with a different theme.  I hope you will make it to the meeting on Sunday at Upscales.  

Holly

Hi Holly, this is Todd. :)   I will definitely post pics!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SuncrestReef said:

What has been your favorite reef so far?  I've been diving at the Great Barrier Reef, Belize, Hawaii, St. Kitts, and St. Lucia.  So far Belize has been my favorite.  I was disappointed in Australia due to so much bleaching.

Welcome to the group.  Like Holly mentioned above, we love to see photos here!

The bleaching in Australia is very sad and hard to see happen in real time....   My favorite spot was Misool in southern Raj Ampat.  A close second was the outer islands off New Guinea.

• Like 1

Howdy neighbor, also in Garden Home!

I've done La Paz, Saona DR and Cozumel, hitting Mona PR, Thomas, Maarten, Nevis, Lucia, and Barbados this summer and hoping to dive at least half of them...

Maybe we need to consider setting up as mutual tank sitters...

On 1/26/2019 at 4:59 PM, Krux said:

Howdy neighbor, also in Garden Home!

I've done La Paz, Saona DR and Cozumel, hitting Mona PR, Thomas, Maarten, Nevis, Lucia, and Barbados this summer and hoping to dive at least half of them...

Maybe we need to consider setting up as mutual tank sitters...

That would be great!  I'm happy to tank sit any time. :)

We are getting a new hero7 black, photos won't be as nice as a dedicated camera, but it will allow video.  We have used our olympus tough 4 underwater, it makes passable photos, but no strobe limits us somewhat... need to do some south pacific diving where there is 100' vis maybe...

Edited by Krux

1 hour ago, Trailermann said:

Wow, who would have thought that GH would house so many reefers and divers.  Let me know if you need a tank sitter.

Anyone have thoughts on the proper camera set up for Belize diving?  Trip planned for May.

Where are you staying in Belize?  We went a few years ago and spent a week at the Hamanasi resort on the coast, then the 2nd week at Thatch Caye, a small island only 12 acres in size.  Had a blast!  It was fun to kayak to neighboring islands, having a beer at their beachside bar, then kayaking back to our island where we stayed in a hut on stilts above the water.  And the reefs were amazing!

Staying at Las Terrazas Resort on Ambergris Caye.  My buddy in hotel business is super connected.  We got a deal no one could refuse.   Looking forward to diving the reef and also the Blue Hole.  Cold beer should also be a highlight.  Also  a few days in the country's interior.  Not so sure there will be much hard coral and especially acros in particular. 

Looking forward to quizzing Jeff on best sites worldwide for the kinds of corals we are mostly interested in.  

Years ago I did tons of UW photography with Nikonos and multiple strobes.  Nothing automatic and certainly nothing digital.  Bulky, heavy, expensive and only one out of ten shots were keepers.  ON top of that, the only way to share the photos was a slide show.  Now considering jumping back into photography.

• Like 1