Neptune Apex is GARBAGE!!!!!

N70SJ

I have had a reef tank set up for the past 32 years and I am SO SICK of the Neptune Apex System. The %$&#@!!! thing NEVER works correctly. There is always something messed up or off-line or screwed up. Their support is only open M-F from 9-5 when all the people that have a real job and can afford a reef tank are at work and cant call for help. I think they planned that on purpose. One of my NEW Wave pumps quit working and they would not replace it so I bought a new one and for the last 3 months it wont work  because is says MISSING on the Apex controller. The specific gravity prob is garbage, Half the time the control outlets don't work.  Then you always have to put in some $#%@ pass code.........Why do I need a pass code? The Russians going to sneak my settings?. This whole piece of crap is going in the garbage, pumps and all. I want control back.

Apex Crap 1 (1).jpg

Apex Crap 2.jpg

Apex Crap 3.jpg

• Like 2

Sorry to hear about your frustrations.  Are you aware of the Neptune support forums?  It's a community of Apex users who help each other out, and it can often help in those off-hour situations when the official Neptune support office is closed.  I personally browse the forums frequently and offer help where I can, but there are some users who have considerably more expertise than I do.

If you haven't been there, check it out:  https://forum.neptunesystems.com

• Like 2

Regarding the specific issues you mentioned:

1. WAV reported as Missing:  This is typically caused by a loose connection, either on the WAV pump itself or the AquaBus cable between the Apex unit and whatever module the WAV is attached to.
  2. Salinity probe:  The two most common problems are caused by bubbles in the probe, or the probe wire in close proximity to a power cord for a pump or other higher voltage device causing electromagnetic interference.  I always invert my probe while under water to allow air bubbles to escape.  Mine has been accurate since I discovered this trick.
  3. Outlets not working:  This is usually due to programming logic problems, or in rare cases a device drawing too much current or insufficient current for a particular outlet type.   Older EnergyBars had certain outlets designated for high load devices, so if you plugged in a device with a tiny power draw it wouldn't recognize it.  Apex programming can be tricky, but it's solid once you get the logic programmed correctly, and that's where the user forums comes in very handy as other people will help vet your coding.
  4. Passwords:  As Manny mentioned above, your computer/tablet/phone can be configured to either save your password or use a fingerprint to auto-logon.  And yes, believe it or not, aquarium controllers have been hacked in the past due to lack of security.

I’m with most on the Apex controller and mine worked flawlessly until I moved and it was not set up for about 6-8 months. Went to start tsnk up and it was dead? No one could get it connected.....not even Neptune support.  They offered me new WiFi brain at super reasonable price so jumped on it the. Wham I won the new apex at the frag swap and it works like a dream. Easy to connect and all! Worked flawlessly since other than a few occasions where it looses connection with my WiFi but several thinks do....especially my reef link! neotune has saved my butt in many occasions.  I could not imagine running a high end tank set up without it 

I gave up on all in one controllers. I prefer smaller individual controllers (like ph for my ca reactor and ranco for heater and float switch/relay for ato ). That way any issue or failure is isolated to just that device and the rest of my system chugs along just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Thanks EVERYONE for all your HELP and comments. John, The Manager of Neptune Apex Support called me at home this morning (Saturday) and helped me straighten out my system for 2 hrs and 10 min. He also said they would replace my WAVE which went bad even though it was out of warranty.  I'm now good with Neptune Apex.

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, N70SJ said:

Thanks EVERYONE for all your HELP and comments. John, The Manager of Neptune Apex Support called me at home this morning (Saturday) and helped me straighten out my system for 2 hrs and 10 min. He also said they would replace my WAVE which went bad even though it was out of warranty.  I'm now good with Neptune Apex.

That's great to hear.  I've had really good experiences with Neptune Support.  No product is perfect, and having worked in IT support for over 25 years, I know how frustrating technical problems can be.  

42 minutes ago, N70SJ said:

Well [language filter] lol 😂 Just kidding glad you got it figured out