3 gallons of media low

TheClark

TLDR;

Topped her off

If bored, rest of the story below pic:

C615C5E1-1CC0-4C4B-8093-503A9E2A0F7C.jpeg

Two big CR changes tonight:

1- Moved the Co2 tank about 50' away and 1 story below (to the reef room)

This allowed change 

2 - Switched to a 50lb Co2 tank (thanks @CrabbyCrabs)

The big tank should need replacing about once a year, instead of every 2 months or less.  Also, it is 1/3rd the price per lb to fill.

Suprise Change 3 - Refill media

However, during the switch over, noticed the reactor was only about 25% full.  Yikes!

Cleaned it out and filled her up.

Was shocked how much media it took, guessing about 3 gallons.

Back up and running, monitoring for leaks.

Also raised the reactor PH up about .1 since there is allot more media / water ratio now.  Thinking alk will kick up, gotta monitor...

Nice to spend a night on the tank, been a while...

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, albertareef said:

Nice. What did the CO2 resistant tubing cost you?

Hmm, I have 100' roll of lldpe, cost about 9 bucks on prime.  It's what I have always used.  Never this long of a run though.  Anything I should worry about?

15 hours ago, TheClark said:

Hmm, I have 100' roll of lldpe, cost about 9 bucks on prime.  It's what I have always used.  Never this long of a run though.  Anything I should worry about?

My understanding was there there is a significant difference in permeability and susceptibility to hardening/cracking with non-CO2 "resistant" compounds.  Looks like greenleaf markets some specifically for this type of application but runs about $1 per foot.  Some of the medical purveyors also have versions but are even more expensive.

18 hours ago, albertareef said:

My understanding was there there is a significant difference in permeability and susceptibility to hardening/cracking with non-CO2 "resistant" compounds.  Looks like greenleaf markets some specifically for this type of application but runs about $1 per foot.  Some of the medical purveyors also have versions but are even more expensive.

Thanks!

I have some homework to do.  The LLDPE has always worked well, but that was short distances.  Plus, who knows how much I was losing due to permeability?  Long term the reactor will be right next to the tank, so if I can tough this out...  Will be back to the old config.

1 minute ago, TheClark said:

Thanks!

I have some homework to do.  The LLDPE has always worked well, but that was short distances.  Plus, who knows how much I was losing due to permeability?  Long term the reactor will be right next to the tank, so if I can tough this out...  Will be back to the old config.

Seems like lots of folk use the standard tubing... I know that I have had issues with loss of pliability and hardening that can affect connections (had the line pop off at one point) so am a bit sensitive to the issue.  I was just hoping you had found a cheap source for the C02 resistant stuff 😄

Just now, albertareef said:

Seems like lots of folk use the standard tubing... I know that I have had issues with loss of pliability and hardening that can affect connections (had the line pop off at one point) so am a bit sensitive to the issue.  I was just hoping you had found a cheap source for the C02 resistant stuff 😄

Good one on line popping off, that's a real issue at times!

13 minutes ago, TheClark said:

Also added this to check levels, 30 bucks.  Magnetic mount, so I can remove for maintenance.  Cloud service included, for remote monitoring.

7882B098-8DB9-4BBD-9A78-F6C56E4CAE14.jpeg

F23FFF81-758E-4ED6-94A0-FE62A964646B.jpeg

Yeesh - you and Suncrestreef are making me feel more inadequate all the time...  I clearly need to retire so I have the time to up my controls game. (if only)

I used a C.A.P digital controller. Different for your needs. I controlled co2 solenoid based on co2 measured, which I ran at 1500ppm. It's no problem being in that ppm as a human, until 3000ppm you are fine. I never had issues with tubing getting brittle, and that was directly under hps lights which is way more uv breaking things down than a little bit of co2. If you want co2 or gas impermeable use anything Teflon lined. That's what's used in modern A/C hoses so it should be fine and then some for co2.

• Like 1