Snorkeling in Costa Rica?

kilmca

Traveling to Costa Rica next week for my brother's wedding.  Wondering if anyone has been there and if they have snorkeled from the shore or have taken a snorkeling trip from a boat?  From my research online it doesn't look like very good snorkeling.  We'll be staying near Manuel Antonio National Park on the Pacific Ocean side of the country.  Looks like they have a pretty good variety of fish but not much from a reef standpoint.  TIA  

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/15/2019 at 1:11 PM, Reefer503 said:

When I was down there last, I was told by my Tico friends to watch out for salt water crocodiles. I don't think it makes much news, but something to think about when in the water. Loved it down there, such a beautiful place to visit. 

We saw one saltwater crocodile while fishing in the mangroves.  IME snorkeling is not a reason to go to Costa Rica because there isn't much to see with respect to corals.  We saw a good selection of fish when snorkeling.  Water clarity is not very good and supposedly that's because there is a lot of sediment in the water from all the rivers that flow into the ocean.  Rivers have a lot of sediment from all the farming.  

We had a great trip and we saw a ton of monkeys, sloths, amphibians, reptiles and birds.  The Macaws and Toucans were amazing.  Here is a link to some of those photos and videos.  Unfortunately I wasn't able to get pictures of the Macaws or Toucans we saw.  We did go on a catamaran boat trip where we saw a couple whales and went snorkeling at one spot.  After snorkeling there were large tangs schooling near the boat and i got a short video of them being fed some crackers.  They were probably 18" to 24" long long and looked similar to a Dussumieri Tang.  

https://photos.app.goo.gl/utctsFBcx6mbBPpT8

• Like 2