UV LED flashlights

danlu_gt

Anyone interested in getting UV LED flashlights?  I need to get a couple to cure UV glass glue for my production while in China.  If there are many interested, I can get them for you guys at factory price.  I've order a few samples from different factories so I can test them out first.  I can show details once I finish testing.  For now, I just like to know how many would be interested in getting one.

Thanks,

Daniel

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, I just did a quick check on Aliexpress... you can order these flashlight for much cheaper shipped directly to you.  The manufacture I found wanted thousands of MOQ and with such low quantity, it makes more sense for you guys to just buy from Aliexpress.

https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?catId=0&initiative_id=SB_20190123224205&SearchText=395nm+led+flashlight

• Like 1

FWIW I am not aware of any coral fluorescent proteins that are maximally excited by UV. Maximum excitation ranges from blue to green (see table on third page)

https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article/file?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0002680&type=printable

I use a blue LED flashlight with yellow goggles for this purpose. Would be curious to see what gets excited by UV.

Edited by EMeyer

On 1/27/2019 at 6:38 AM, EMeyer said:

FWIW I am not aware of any coral fluorescent proteins that are maximally excited by UV. Maximum excitation ranges from blue to green (see table on third page)

https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article/file?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0002680&type=printable

I use a blue LED flashlight with yellow goggles for this purpose. Would be curious to see what gets excited by UV.

Interesting!  I used to have an 8 channel DIY led, one channel was UV only.  Only a few corals fluoresce, but some definitely do.  Not sure if this is the same as being excited, but they definitely shine in an otherwise dark tank (UV not visible...)

Fluorescence in UV is probably mostly coming from other sources than coral's fluorescent proteins, which is where corals get nearly all of their color. Photosynthetic and accessory pigments are excited in that range. So are a lot of other fluorescent small molecules. So I guess its not surprising something would fluoresce, out of all the animal, protist, and bacterial cells in a coral...

I'm curious now, gonna have to find a UV source and see what lights up...

Edited by EMeyer
  • Like 2

Really interesting, thanks for the photos. That definitely looks like the flashlight is exciting coral FPs.

Either the flashlight has a spectrum that bleeds over into the excitation wavelengths of the proteins, or the proteins have broader excitation peaks in the living animal than they do as purified proteins in a tube...

Looking more closely at the spectra from the paper I linked, many of them do have a small secondary excitation peak in the UV range... so maybe not so unexpected after all. Blue should still produce brighter fluorescence, but apparently UV does enough to put on a show too :)

Edited by EMeyer
  • Like 1

Most corals that flourecesent to Royal blue (450nm) will also flourecesent with 395nm UV, just the intensity maybe different. With 395nm, you won't get the overwhelming blue color.

For serious coral photography, I was looking into getting UV blocking filter (blocks 400nm and lower) then take pictures with 365nm light source. Unfortunately, pure UV filters are super expansive.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

• Like 1