Skimmer water outlet question

Snappy

To make my Aquamaxx 1.5 HOB fit inside my aquarium I had to take the last elbow off the pipe. Now the water outlet sits half an inch above the same chamber it pulls from. Should I plumb it so that the outlet goes into its own chamber? Is it a problem if the outlet has a sideways pipe so that it fits? Not sure if that would affect the gravity feeding. It's a bit more challenging, but I could possibly even connect it to the left intake pump for the aquarium. Thoughts? 

IMG_1756.JPG

IMG_1757.JPG

I can't exactly tell what is going on in the pics as I am not completely familiar with that skimmer or tank but, in general, I try to direct the effluent "down stream" of the skimmer intake just to reduce the chance of recycling the water (and theoretically increase efficiency).  That said, a lot of skimmer designs don't readily accommodate that and you can't help but return to the same chamber you are drawing from.  It may impact efficiency a bit but hopefully there is enough overall flow to limit any negative effect.  If you can't redirect it to a downstream chamber, you could try and return the effluent as far away from the intake as possible within the same chamber to increase the likelihood of getting good mixing with "new" tank water.

Aside from a little water noise it shouldn’t be an issue. The elbo I think is just to direct the flow out if you were using it in tank instead of in a back compartment like you are. As Albertareef said, worst it would do is recirculate some of the water back through the skimmer. With how close you are to the next chamber it won’t be much.

Edited by Blue Z Reef