Upscales Meeting January 2019

badxgillen

Happy New Year!!!

To kick things off in 2019 we are going to be taking a trip to one of the most old school salt water shops around, Upscales.

SAM_5655.JPG

Known for their killer salt water fish, amazing corals, and exotic reptiles, Upscales has a little something for everyone. Join us at the end of the month for a meet and greet at one of our oldest sponsors to get your reef on. I still have my Oregon Tort and my Upscales Microlados but I am sure Travis and his crew will have a plethora of other must have corals in stock that I will be tempted to walk away with, gotta hit up those buy one get another coral half off deals. And they always have nice clams and anemones to choose from as well.

Here are the basic details below.

Time---Sunday January the 27th at 1:00PM

Address---19295 SW Martinazzi Ave, Tualatin, OR 97062

Stay tuned for updates on the event as they roll in, there is always something brewing here in the PNWMAS club.

• Like 10

Would there be any public interest in having a microscope available at the meeting?  I'd be happy to bring my microscope and clean slides if anyone has something they're trying to ID.  Diatoms, dinoflagellates, ich, pods, and many other things are easy to ID under magnification.  

This microscope can view samples at 40x, 80x, 100x, 200x, 400x, 800x, 1000x, or 2000x. The view can also be recorded on video on your own smartphone since I have a universal adapter to hold a phone up to the eyepiece.

Let me know if anyone is interested.

IMG_4808.jpg

• Like 3

8 hours ago, SuncrestReef said:

Would there be any public interest in having a microscope available at the meeting?  I'd be happy to bring my microscope and clean slides if anyone has something they're trying to ID.  Diatoms, dinoflagellates, ich, pods, and many other things are easy to ID under magnification.  

This microscope can view samples at 40x, 80x, 100x, 200x, 400x, 800x, 1000x, or 2000x. The view can also be recorded on video on your own smartphone since I have a universal adapter to hold a phone up to the eyepiece.

Let me know if anyone is interested.

IMG_4808.jpg

If I were you, I'd bring and make a little small walk-by demonstration because that is too cool.

Edited by milesmiles902
  • Like 1

Upscales and the PNWMAS club have got some awesome raffle prizes coming up for this months meeting. Take a look at some of the goods we have for the winning tickets pulled.

RODI aquatic life 50GPD.jpg

An Aquatic Life 50 Gallon Per Day Reverse Osmosis unit. Not a bad idea to start with the cleanest water you can, nor is it a bad idea to have a back up unit in case the main unit has some down time or needs a tune up.

Gyre Icecap 1k.jpg

An Icecap Gyre 1K to get flow to some of those spots in the aquarium that you didn't know needed it, these things are supposed to do their job well.

icecap-gyre-3k-2__72838.1535064610.jpg

And for the larger tanks there is a bigger model, the coveted Gyre 3K will also be making an appearance at the January meeting... I have had my eye on these pumps for a while and am dying to try one out.

It is $5 for single tickets or $20 for a strip of 5, and don't forget paying members get a free entry ticket to increase those odds some. We will have a few other items added to the raffle list over the next week or two so stay tuned.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Well this is Cool! I just got confirmation from Upscales that we will have a spot for a table so that SunCrestReef can setup his Microscope!

If you haven't checked it out I recommend that you take the opportunity to do so and Geek out with us! Diotoms, Dinoflagellates, prtotozoans... Everything is cooler up close and in person.

SunCrestReef- will provide clean glass slides and cover slips if anyone wants to bring a specimen for viewing.  They don't need to bring much because one eyedrop is all that's needed.  I'll also have my universal cell phone bracket that people can use to hold their own phone up to the eyepiece and record video or photos of their specimen.  They will be able to view at 40x to 2000x magnification.

Thanks for doing this man, looking forward to the conversations it will bring up.

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, badxgillen said:

Well this is Cool! I just got confirmation from Upscales that we will have a spot for a table so that SunCrestReef can setup his Microscope!

If you haven't checked it out I recommend that you take the opportunity to do so and Geek out with us! Diotoms, Dinoflagellates, prtotozoans... Everything is cooler up close and in person.

SunCrestReef- will provide clean glass slides and cover slips if anyone wants to bring a specimen for viewing.  They don't need to bring much because one eyedrop is all that's needed.  I'll also have my universal cell phone bracket that people can use to hold their own phone up to the eyepiece and record video or photos of their specimen.  They will be able to view at 40x to 2000x magnification.

Thanks for doing this man, looking forward to the conversations it will bring up.

That is cool!  I wasn't sure if we had followed up on that or if they thought they had enough space.  Could be pretty interesting for sure.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, youcallmenny said:

I stocked up on cups and plates and silverware and such.  I had oral surgery this week so I'll be there a few minutes early to drop off and say hello but probably cant stay the whole time. 

Sorry to hear  about the teeth - had that before ands it’s no fun! 

• Like 1