January CNC sps grow out thread

Unfortunately I'm out, bought some peppermint shrimp from an lfs who was adamant about them not ever touching corals to take out some aptaisia. Plopped them in the tank and after one week stripped 2 whole acroporas clean of there flesh, which included this one.

• Sad 1

I'm glad to report my frag is doing well.  I'm lucky because brown jelly syndrome damaged and/or killed a dozen other frags in my tank over the past few weeks.  I think things are stabilized for now.

I have only seen about 1 cm of growth in height, and it's encrusting a bit at the base.  Polyp extension and coloration look good.

IMG_5142.jpg

Screen Shot 2019-01-03 at 9.27.09 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-01-03 at 9.28.36 AM.png

• Like 3

12 hours ago, NateDawg said:

Unfortunately I'm out, bought some peppermint shrimp from an lfs who was adamant about them not ever touching corals to take out some aptaisia. Plopped them in the tank and after one week stripped 2 whole acroporas clean of there flesh, which included this one.

Sorry to hear that, at least you win the last place prize.  I have a lab squirt bottle and set of brushes for cleaning testing tubes.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pdxmonkeyboy said:

Sorry to hear that, at least you win the last place prize.  I have a lab squirt bottle and set of brushes for cleaning testing tubes.  

It's alright, should've gone with my gut on it. Anyhow, thanks for the prize! But, I'd like to bump the gift to the person who finishes the whole contest though since I didn't quite make it 😊 and maybe if someone ever does any trimming on this piece or a strawberry shortcake I'd be happy to trade some green paper for them.

My piece will be up for grabs when the contest is over. Not really a piece I like that much. I've seen a little encrusting and a few tips grew a few millimeters. Polyps are out all the time. That's all so far. Had calcium crash when using b-ionic so I went to twice weekly water changes to get stuff back where they should be and switched back to salinity salt. Stopped all dosing except pure vitamin C twice daily. Now I've got a wounded clown, probably from my evil tailspot blenny so I'm using seachem stress guard, we'll see how it destroys corals.

Pretty close to last month. There is more basing out happening on the top side, which you can't see here. You can see where I knocked to branches off accidentally. On of the spots has a new polyp growing out of the center. The good news is that I have a backup now in the frag tank--and it seems to be encrusting already.

January.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

Here's my updated pic.  I have seen some growth on the tips and actually more encrusting on the bottom!

Will be interesting to see them in order month to month to see how they progress.

Just maintaining my weekly 25% water changes, filter changes approx= 2x / week with good flow in the tank. 

I still actually have mine on the bottom in the sand, but a Nuvo 20 isn't as deep as many tanks and I find my lights tend to burn corals too easy in a small tank like that. (even when I have them at 50% )  

1-19-19.jpg

Edited by Cerulean Seas
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...