New to PNWMAS

Dan

Hi everyone Im  fairly new to the hobby and came across this site and just wanted to say hi to everyone.

My names Dan and live in Salem.

Im in the process of putting together a 75 gallon saltwater (upgrading from a 55) and look forward to my new tank.

Does anyone know of any good places to purchase frags and equipment at fair prices?

Thanks for reading & best wishes.

• Like 3

Welcome to the club Dan!  Always glad to see new Salem reefer's!  In Salem there is The Premium Aquarium but we've also got All Things Aquariums right up the road in Wilsonville and the legendary Cuttlefish & Corals up in the south side of Portland.  Used gear is sold for crazy good prices regularly on these forums if you want used.  

Can we see your old tank? What did you keep in it?  Any solid plans for the 75?  That was my first real tank and it's a great size. 

• Like 1

Hey Dan welcome to the forum, there are quite a few peeps that are down south that belong to this club.  As far as equipment and frags just post up what you are looking for in the appropriate wanted classifieds or search them as  there is always stuff for sale.  Lots of knowledgeable people here so dont be afraid to ask questions. 

• Like 2

Welcome Dan! 

I am in Salem too, and Garrett at The Premium Aquarium (over by the airport) is a great guy who I’m sure would be happy to help ya out, lots of good stuff in his shop! 

Like others have said, many of us have tons of used equipment they would love to get rid of, so a ‘want to buy’ post on the forum here will usually get some good used options as well. Same goes for corals. I know I am often too lazy to list up sale threads, but usually have frags I can sell if someone was interested. Lots of great folks in the area also have corals too. 

• Like 2

Thank you all for the warm welcome and the many places mentioned.(leads) 

I will have to check them out next time I go to Portland area for sure and also of course Premium Aquarium. 

Right now the 55 gallons Im using is just temporary placement for the handful of LPS and 20 or so pounds of live rock with a few damsel fish.

Currently only running two HOB filters and small hang on back skimmer. A friend just gave me his whole tank 2-3 weeks ago with everything in it. It was a small tank (roughly 30 gallons) that he had been running for 8 moths or so and then lost interest;  I put everything in my 55 I had laying around until the 75 is finished being built. 

My plans for the 75 is drill and install a bean animal system (possibly Herbie style) any thoughts on that? with an internal glass coast to coast style overflow. I have almost everything ready other then a handful of pvc fittings that I will pick up next week. My sump will be a 20 long or maybe a 29 but Im leaning towards the 20 long at the moment and will silicone my own baffles for it.

Im really lacking live rock for the new tank and other then that will look for a good used skimmer for it but need the rock first of all so thats my next step.

I spent a lot on all the various pieces/parts needed for my new build so I have to wait 1-2 weeks to get the live rock. Other then the live rock I pretty much just need to get me a skimmer :) the auto top of and dosing pump could wait for now.

If I have time will take some pics down the road if there is interest? I also need to paint the stand again as it has some paint worn off then seal it with some Thomson seal or some type of lacquer to keep things nice and dry. The tank is an Aqueon that I will convert to saltwater and save a few bucks hopefully by doing it myself as Im on a set income and need to do this in stages. Im thinking 2-3 weeks max and it will all be complete :) I has a few inquiries from the members so included a few details here as to my plans and build. I really appreciate the warm welcome and if anybody has ideas feel free to let me know. 

Im Very glad I fount this site here at PNWMAS !

Thanks again to all.

Dan

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, Dan! Welcome aboard! You've come to the right place.

By the way, new to the forum as well. Whenever I’m taking a break from this particular interest, I’m usually found at home, watching my sugar glider play in his critter nation cage while having fun with my brothers. Such a simple and noble life. Cheers, everyone! Have a nice day!

Edited by PeterKenka