To clarisea or not to clarisea

Manny Tavan

1 hour ago, Manny Tavan said:

I like low flow in my sump because I don't see why high flow is better. 

Apparently there are no odors because it dries so fast. Dries before organics have a chance to decompose which is the whole idea of the filter roller vs socks

Interesting.  I would be curious if anyone on here has actually put one of these to test in their system yet.  Certainly seems like a good idea on paper (assuming the odor issue doesn't materialize).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, shaywood said:

I'd be curious about any odors from the used material. Is this the model that has a compound embedded in the fabric to help eliminate or reduce odor?

I've looked at several of these rolling mechanical units at trade shows over the last few years. Was thinking about putting one on one of my teaching systems to illustrate another means of particulate removal. Would've pulled the trigger, too, but the build quality on any of them did not impress. Wasn't wild about committing to spending budget money on the media for the foreseeable future, either, but would've bought one that looked like it was anywhere close to built to last for my students to examine and work on. Also thought the price points were on the silly side.

Shaywood brings up a good point that I also considered. Hmmmm.......... poop, decomposing food, and whatever else..... not a big deal in my lab but I figured pretty much guaranteed to result in cohabitational terrorism in a house.

Just one guy's opinion and if you want the convenience, go for it. That's what they're for . But also agree with monkeyboy's sentiment about biofunk spilling over the edges of the media and impairing the efficiency of the chemical and biological filtration. I believe you can adjust the turn speed on most of 'em but then you're blowing through $20 rolls even more quickly.

If you think this tool will simplify your life and help maintain the joy of aquatic animal keeping, by all means, give it a shot. Then please let us know how much you like it and take a shotgun to all this skepticism in my post! Good luck with this!

Edited by IntoTheMystic
  • Like 1

I push more flow through my sump so that i can filter my water quicker. The more water you push through the more that gets filtered out. I push around 3500 GPH through my filter socks.

Four 4" 200 micron mesh socks get fully clogged in 2-3 days. Very very little organic matter stays in my tank.

I feed about 1.3 pounds of frozen food a month, my nitrates are at around 4, po4 ar 0.03. Little detritous in my sump.

I personally dont see any benefit to not running high flows.

anywho, just my 2 cents, something to think about..

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...

I got Clarisea 5000 and running in my RSM 650 for about a month. I am running about 650 gph, that is about the best RSM will do. Absolutely love it and will never go back to socks. Additional bonus is a happy wife due to not having wash socks. :)

• Like 2