Buying and importing a car through an importer??

Taylorhardy1

Has anyone here ever imported a Japanese car through an importer? Lately I find myself dreadfully missing my fd rx7 and need another one. After a quick search even the jdm fd rx7s already stateside are about 20% cheaper. That's fairly obvious considering Japan had them for 10 years while we had them for 2. But the 94s with late 93 production dates are already legal, it almost makes more sense to spend less on a Japanese car and chop up a far less rare car to build into a racecar. So I've been wondering if anyone's dealt with it personally? Anything I can expect? Good local company to find me the car I'm looking for?

Edited by Taylorhardy1

Has anyone here ever imported a Japanese car through an importer? Lately I find myself dreadfully missing my fd rx7 and need another one. After a quick search even the jdm fd rx7s already stateside are about 20% cheaper. That's fairly obvious considering Japan had them for 10 years while we had them for 2. But the 94s with late 93 production dates are already legal, it almost makes more sense to spend less on a Japanese car and chop up a far less rare car to build into a racecar. So I've been wondering if anyone's dealt with it personally? Anything I can expect? Good local company to find me the car I'm looking for?

Motorex used to be the big dog but unsure if they still are. You can contact Yplate motors and speak with them. They import skylines, rx7, etc he may have some insight or even be able to help you through the process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, PowderBlue said:

Motorex used to be the big dog but unsure if they still are. You can contact Yplate motors and speak with them. They import skylines, rx7, etc he may have some insight or even be able to help you through the process.

At least in Utah, when the r32 skyline, and all the cool cars that came around that time frame became legal for import tons of importers started popping up like crazy. There's a few local ones I've come across, but I want to go to a good importer that finds quality cars for good prices and doesn't try to widen their already large profit margin by horrendously up charging on a broken pile, then ship through a less than cautious shipping company and get an even more beat up car.

9 hours ago, Manny Tavan said:

Thereā€™s a super clean low mile fd on CL right now...

I saw that. My problem is I'm gonna be chopping the car up for a widebody kit, extensive interior work, and it's gonna get a 3 rotor. I'm 6ā€™4ā€ so I have to get a non sunroof car which makes it even more rare of a car considering only some base models, and r2 cars had that option. I just don't want to be destroying a super rare us spec car for my build when I could get a jdm model for a dime a dozen.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, PowderBlue said:

e489a0eb5e19298dd92792b60ae5a914.jpg
This was sold through Yplate, but if youā€™re going to hack the car and put a race pack in it Iā€™d just find one somewhere in the states unless youā€™re really wanting a rhd.

Is this one yours Randall? Ā Looks good in the driveway!

2 minutes ago, PowderBlue said:

Iā€™m working on a supercharged C6 Z06 right now to sell!
Sorry for the thread jack!

Well Taylor knows I'm a fellow RX7 fan so hopefully he will forgive the brief thread jackĀ šŸ˜ƒĀ  I only had fcs myself but really enjoyed them. Ā I certainly applaud the attempt to find a suitable donor for the race mods vs. breakingĀ up a nice, rare stock example. Ā Hadn't thought about the headroom issue but that isn't something I ever really need to deal withĀ šŸ™ƒ

14 hours ago, PowderBlue said:

e489a0eb5e19298dd92792b60ae5a914.jpg
This was sold through Yplate, but if youā€™re going to hack the car and put a race pack in it Iā€™d just find one somewhere in the states unless youā€™re really wanting a rhd.

Nice! My thinking with going jdm is Japan had something like 70k cars produced through the 10 years they were built there, whereas we had under 14k make it to the states because Mazda only built lhd cars in 93 and 94. I used to have a chaste white 94, a 1 of 26 produced. But Everytime I considered chopping it up I just felt guilty. Im a purist at heart, so I'd rather just chop up a car with higher production numbers.Ā 

Ā 

13 hours ago, Manny Tavan said:

I've always wanted an FD...until I drove a 911...

I feel this! I would buy a 911 if I had 140k laying around for a 997 gt3rs.

• Like 1