Anyone having any success with the Triton Method?

Jfruity24

I think the Triton would be a great route to go if wanting to spend a bunch more money :) You have stated you have little info on it, yet you want to jump ship on your current methods and set sail in a different direction? (Marketing can be the devil :biggrin2:) The only reason someone would be willing to abandon their current strategy, would be due to little perceived success at their current attempt. So typically it would be best to figure out what it is that is being done wrong and improve on that, as that is what defines experience, learning from ones mistakes to provide better results going forward; rather than trying to emulate another's success without understanding the concept, your bound to be right back where you started, with less cash and a greater frustration. 

Take a look at this photo from 2003:

fullshot3crop.jpg

Gorgeous Tank huh? This was from a Time Triton Didn't Exist, EcoTech Didn't Exist, LED's for Reef Tanks Were not being used, BRS 2 Part? Nope! ICP Testing available to consumers? Yeah...No. All the Equipment on this tank would be considered old and Archaic by most standards, yet I'm willing to bet this Particular tank looks better than the majority of Members on this Forum.

Reefing is not like "Coding" for Instance, while someone can look at a particular piece of code, copy it and manipulate it to do what they want with little understanding (theres much more to this, but the basic concept applies), The Reef Tank is much less forgiving, resulting into every hobbyist creating their own methods of Success. If this could be emulated, there would be a step by step guide available, and lucious overgrown reef tanks full of colonies with constant need of trimming would be everywhere you looked. I would start by getting a deeper understanding of the biology in your tank, What are the components of coral growth? , What forms of filtration do you have in place, and what exact purpose do they serve? etc. If you really want to pursue the Triton Method, I would first put in the time researching articles on the subject before spending that kind of money, simply because individuals on a forum may have found success, after all it does little to explain the Science. ;)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Exodus said:

(Marketing can be the devil :biggrin2:)

-Marketing is money

learning from ones mistakes to provide better results going forward; rather than trying to emulate another's success without understanding the concept, your bound to be right back where you started, with less cash and a greater frustration.

-Many truths to this. I learned the most from attempting and failing, than X posts. Honestly, once you have the correct lighting, flow and nutrient uptake (refugium, skimmer, maybe water changes?), calcium and alkalinity dosing. It's really not much more. I only buy food, salt, baking soda and calcium concentrate for pools.

-Also, I bet in the long-run, if the new aquariast brought an experienced aquariast (not me) by for no more than an hour. Every problem could be fixed or a plan could be made. Pay for an hour of any aquarium store owners time (aquarium maintenance fees), it would probably be cheaper and better than Triton.

ICP Testing available to consumers? Yeah.

-It's been around a while, but not to the consumer. Maybe early 90's.

4 hours ago, Exodus said:

If you really want to pursue the Triton Method, I would first put in the time researching articles on the subject before spending that kind of money, simply because individuals on a forum may have found success, after all it does little to explain the Science. ;)

-I agree, but does it work? Yes! Ask @Lexinverts  He might know more about Triton. It has the sickest read-outs of the parts per million - parts per billion of almost every element in biological systems.

Edited by milesmiles902
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, milesmiles902 said:

ICP Testing available to consumers? Yeah.

-It's been around a while, but not to the consumer. Maybe early 90's.

ICP Testing available to consumers? Yeah...No. 

You, didn't read to the end of the sentence, it was Sarcasm :) 
and btw, I didn't Say Triton didn't work, I simply was pointing out it's not necessary for a successful tank.

17 hours ago, Jfruity24 said:

I was thinking of going that direction, haven’t gotten enough info on it and was curious if anyone locally has any experience with it so far. Would love to hear! 😁

I have tried Triton and I have had good success with it.

However, Triton has had some issues keeping their supplements in stock in the USA. I switched to ATI Essentials because it is much cheaper than Triton and it is always in stock in the USA. Since I switched, I have had the same type of good results using ATI as I did using Triton. ATI also offers ICP testing for less than Triton charges and with similar results.

I currently recommend ATI over Triton.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Lexinverts said:

However, Triton has had some issues keeping their supplements in stock in the USA. I switched to ATI Essentials because it is much cheaper than Triton and it is always in stock in the USA. Since I switched, I have had the same type of good results using ATI as I did using Triton. ATI also offers ICP testing for less than Triton charges and with similar results.

Good feedback - thanks Andy!

17 hours ago, Lexinverts said:

I did some of the photography for the ATI Essential method and followed some of their tanks over a 6 month period to document growth, color change etc. From what I saw there was a significant increase in color and growth at around the 4 month mark. How long have you been running it? 

• Like 1

I did my own version of the Triton method. Kinda the lazy mans way of doing it. Been running that way since 2013. I supplement with ammino acids, and feed heavily.

I made it about 2 years without a water change and had significant growth and success with the method. There does come a point when maintaining equipment will force you to do some water changes. Just things like soaking the return pumps, vacuuming the sump, or cleaning the plumbing etc. 

I do have all of the equipment for the ATI Essential way chillin in the garage right now but have not set that up do to some things going on in my life at the moment. 

IME I think something that is not mentioned with this method is just how high of water movement you need for this method to really work. You need to keep the detritus suspended so it can be removed. It will be a big part of making this successful IME. 

I included carbon dosing with vodka as part of my regiment. I highly recommend that as well. 

I would also recommend still testing your salinity on occasion. You are going to be pulling skimmate out and some of that salt will need to be supplemented back in. 

My reason for switching was a physical one. I had a pretty bad injury that I had to recover from and I could not physically do a water change on my tank for over a year. I had 11 years in the hobby when I made the switch. For me personally my tank did better after switching then it did when I was doing 20% water changes once a week. 

I would recommend it as a method, but you have to plan for all of it, not just the not doing water change part. 

JME. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, cjmdh said:

@youcallmennyNot yet.  Have to get the carpet/floors done before I put the tank up, and that has been delayed due to other wonderful house projects.

Let me know if there's anything I can do to help!  I do actually have a nice tile saw and some experience with that stuff.  Been a while, you coming to the party this weekend?  Be cool to catch up!

• Like 1

On 12/18/2018 at 5:07 PM, Lexinverts said:

Where do you buy ati essentials now? Marinedepot no longer carries it and bulkreef never did...

8 hours ago, Manny Tavan said:

Where do you buy ati essentials now? Marinedepot no longer carries it and bulkreef never did...

ATI is replacing ATI Essentials 3-part with a the 2-part ATI Essentials pro. The new supplements will be available in the USA by January 2019. I like this idea, since it will free up a channel on my doser and will free up space in my cabinet for other stuff.

• Like 1

On 12/20/2018 at 8:49 AM, youcallmenny said:

Let me know if there's anything I can do to help!  I do actually have a nice tile saw and some experience with that stuff.  Been a while, you coming to the party this weekend?  Be cool to catch up!

Thanks for the offer!  In the family room where the tank/s are going to reside we decided to match the wood floors we put in the front of the house instead of carpet.  Not sure when it will happen though.  Have a fence to fix too.  The list keeps growing!  

• Like 1