Skimmer cleaning

SuncrestReef

Today I thoroughly cleaned my Nyos Quantum 160 skimmer for the first time since starting my tank. It's been running continuously for 8 months with no problems, but in the past few days I started to notice the skimmer struggled to start up when turning it on. The motor was turning, but the air intake seemed to be restricted so the bubbles didn't start forming for about 20 seconds after turning it on.

Before:

IMG_5029.jpg

IMG_5030.jpg\

IMG_5033.jpg

After:

IMG_5036.jpg

I also took this opportunity to siphon out the detritus from the bottom of my sump:

IMG_5037.jpg

The skimmer is now running smoothly, and starts up right away without the delay I've seen recently.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SuncrestReef said:

Yes, along with a toothbrush and paper towels.  All told, it only took about 1 hour.

Totally worth it, nice job!

Curious if your skimmer will need a small break in period or not after a good cleaning.  I don't think mine ever did, but its been a while since I gave it this good of treatment! :)

1 minute ago, TheClark said:

Totally worth it, nice job!

Curious if your skimmer will need a small break in period or not after a good cleaning.  I don't think mine ever did, but its been a while since I gave it this good of treatment! :)

I was sure to leave a bit of the film buildup on the inside of the neck which I think should alleviate the need for break in.  I'll know for sure in the next day or so, and will report back.

• Like 1