Aptasia Eating Berghia Nudibranch Group Buy

TheClark

2 hours ago, milesmiles902 said:

Has anyone tried to breed these things locally?

You know, I've been downsizing my aquarium, but it would be cool to have a nudibranch tank.

I'm going to look into it.

We sure tried, but could not possibly produce enough aptasia.  Even with donations from friends.  These guys have quite the appetite!

1 hour ago, spectra said:

Ok I think Miles is drinking again :laugh:

Been drinking the well water.

35 minutes ago, TheClark said:

We sure tried, but could not possibly produce enough aptasia.  Even with donations from friends.  These guys have quite the appetite!

I believe it. I messaged a LFS about sending me pictures of their nudi's, rather than buying an assortment that actually doesn't have a food source, and an already short lifespan.

Maybe just see what tends to come in, then go from there.

1 hour ago, Willapa said:

Wow, those things are small! I just pictured something larger but I had monti eating nudis once and they were pretty tiny. Will they eat full grown aptasia or just baby ones?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These are little guys!  They get quite a bit bigger, over an inch.

They eat big aptasia, even at this size.  It's pretty incredible.  We raised a few in the past, and the tiniest little berghias eat the full sized aptasia.  They have some technique I read about, I think they first cause the aptasia to retract then go to town... Wish I could find that reference...

• 2 weeks later...

6E664035-9368-473C-9667-43F5C72DF4F1.jpeg

Getting bigger, already getting hard to keep them fed!  (Mine are in a nursery so it requires bringing aptasia to them).

Note the colors, they are eating well.

Also note at least 4 egg clusters.

I just moved the egg clusters into the frag tank.  It's game over for the aptasia :)

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

These things are pigs I put in 5 aptasia last night and they were gone in the morning.  Also, there are eggs everywhere. 

Once those eggs turn into hungry mini clones, its going to be over quick!

I hope to keep some alive long enough to trade with someone.  It's tough once they overtake the aptasia though...  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, TheClark said:

These things are pigs I put in 5 aptasia last night and they were gone in the morning.  Also, there are eggs everywhere. 

Once those eggs turn into hungry mini clones, its going to be over quick!

I hope to keep some alive long enough to trade with someone.  It's tough once they overtake the aptasia though...  

You're the father.

• 3 months later...

Took almost 5 months, but my aptasia are gone.  I must have had thousands, at least it felt like it.  Probably hundreds?

Anyways, just sharing for those interested.

I **think** I saved some babies, they are just specs though and I have very few aptasia left to feed with.  If they become available will post back.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheClark said:

Took almost 5 months, but my aptasia are gone.  I must have had thousands, at least it felt like it.  Probably hundreds?

Anyways, just sharing for those interested.

I **think** I saved some babies, they are just specs though and I have very few aptasia left to feed with.  If they become available will post back.

They do amazing work. Their efficiency is their downfall as it is hard to keep them fed once they have cleared out an infestation. It’s s great feeling when they do. Laser wands , Joe’s juice , aiptasiax can’t compete with Mother Nature.

• Like 2