Best quarantine method?

Manny Tavan

I guess I got luck with my current 34 gallon. Never had major issues just putting fish in there straight from the LFS. Decided to quarantine the fish that will eventually stock my new 190 gallon system. So I picked up a used 20 gallon. It has a light. It will have a heater and some sponge filter only. Will put PVC piping in it and some ceramic balls that are currently cycling in a plastic tote. 

Wondering what other members do in terms of medication. I'm leaning towards prazipro and seachem cupramine right off the bat and keeping fish in quarantine for 4 weeks. Is that what most people do?

i use the same medications you listed and have had good luck.  here is a link to a reef2reef thread that i found helpful.  there are many different ways to setup a QT.  my QT setup consists of a 40 breeder with sump, UV and protein skimmer.  I only run the UV and protein skimmer when i'm not medicating.  i like to try and give the fish a week to get acclimated and eating well before i medicate the tank so that's when i run the UV and skimmer.  hope that helps.     

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/how-to-quarantine.189815/?utm_source=newsletter_1&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=February_26_2016

Word.   PVC only.  your sponge filter will provide all the space for denitrifying bacteria.   you can put a rock or two in there, it isn't going to soak up copper that aggressively.  you HAVE been lucky that is for sure.  We set up a tank for my wife, all the fish we put in there seemed fine.  And they were fine for about 3 weeks.  Then came the onset of velvet.  Noticed it first on the long horn cowfish. 

Barnacle blenny... dead

tail spot blenny...dead

long horn cowfish... dead

QT is kind of a pain but it is very very important, especially these days as there has been a lot of chatter about more and more disease in the industry, 

I would HIGHLY suggest getting a hannah copper checker.  They are the BOMB.