Super awesome aussie acropora spathulata

Taylorhardy1

The other day I stopped in at the premium aquarium to get some bulbs, and checkout some fish. Well, I have a serious addiction and can't look at anything until I thoroughly inspect all the acros. I came across this really interesting spathulata and couldn't walk out of the store without it. Ive began fragging the colony down to help heighten it's chances of survival in captivity. Ive got a few nice chunky frags cut already, and will have far more than I have space for here shortly. My brother has already nicknamed it fruity pebbles. Though it looks as though unique corals had a similar specimen once upon a time. images.jpeg.39d42c0910f9575f2a2e00aed88cff0a.jpegIve included a photo from them to help show the colors my potato phone isn't able to capture. I am trying to recuperate some of the money I invested into the colony, as well as spread some pieces throughout the local hobbyists to help guarantee it's survival in captivity and see what it does in different tanks and conditions. I feel a fair price for frags would be $30/per although Ive never broken down a wild colony and sold frags so quickly so feel free to give me some input. IMG_20181208_184559.thumb.jpg.fb67b87d0abb1d2dbb6456838e1a4a89.jpgIMG_20181208_184420.thumb.jpg.e7c1105b3d8817520138bbd10237738e.jpg

IMG_20181209_133108.jpg

• Like 3

To The Clark. If you want one and you can arrange for me to pickup on Sunday, not sure where they would be. I can grab from cuddle fish or similar area. Any where between Gresham and inner SW Portland.  I can meet you either in kalama again or kelso.  I keep a small foam cooler in my car to help. Just for helping me out this weekend with the tank and a reason to go to lucky dragon. PM me if interested.

9 hours ago, CrabbyCrabs said:

To The Clark. If you want one and you can arrange for me to pickup on Sunday, not sure where they would be. I can grab from cuddle fish or similar area. Any where between Gresham and inner SW Portland.  I can meet you either in kalama again or kelso.  I keep a small foam cooler in my car to help. Just for helping me out this weekend with the tank and a reason to go to lucky dragon. PM me if interested.

Woohoo sounds like I am in.  Assuming we are going to wait a couple weeks though for frags to heal right?

Let the specimen get accustomed to your tank, then take a couple frags...heal...grow...repeat. Nothing happens fast...except corals dying .

Don’t get me wrong, shops frag colonies to frags all the time...but it does come with risk;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, Mandinga said:

Let the specimen get accustomed to your tank, then take a couple frags...heal...grow...repeat. Nothing happens fast...except corals dying .

Don’t get me wrong, shops frag colonies to frags all the time...but it does come with risk;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh don't worry! If this was an aquacultured colony I wouldn't even be fragging it. I would honestly rescape my entire tank for it. The colony is absolutely beautiful. Unfortunately being a wild colony that's only been in captivity for a bit over a month It's just too risky to leave the colony whole for much longer in my experience. Frags can be more evenly exposed to lighting and flow and seem to have a better survival rate. Even aquacultured colonys can have issues going from tank to tank, or from flow and lighting changes in general.

5 hours ago, albertareef said:

Nice piece Taylor!  Are you planning to be at the holiday meeting?  Might make a good option for frag pickup.

Im hoping to make it. I started a new job recently, and so far it's been decent enough to give me a regular schedule. I'm just not sure if I'll be able to swing it with family in town!

10 hours ago, TheClark said:

Woohoo sounds like I am in.  Assuming we are going to wait a couple weeks though for frags to heal right?

Im sure I'll have plenty of frags healing for a long time. The colony is fairly good sized, had to use a bucket to acclimate it. Im hoping to make it to the holiday meeting and could bring frags then if I'm able to make it. I don't wanna jinx it but so far color is looking great, and all frags have survived. 

• Like 1

I was able to make 25 total frags. Some of which are quite chunky, and extremely colorful. Some frags are smaller, closer to the 1-1.5" range. Most were fairly exposed to light and show ideal colors. Some of them were shaded under branches and don't have their full colors. I'd be willing to do the chunky ones for $30, and the smaller frags for $15-20 depending on coloration.