Reefer 350

CrabbyCrabs

Well I grabbed my brand new reefer 350 from storage this last weekend. Got half way through building the stand and found two left side panels and no right. Great quality control there red Sea. Man the hardware seems lesser quality than Ikea stuff, especially the cam locks are horribly thin/cheap. Not impressed at this point except the actual stand finish is nice. 

Yeah, he's selling me a max nano tank to replace my cracked one below his cost cause I bought most of my stuff through him before I knew about other places. Just because he can part out what comes with them like the light to make up the cost. So I hope he can help out with this. He's got a 350 on the floor he might swap me too.

• 3 weeks later...

Hahaha. My replacement panel came in. Only took over 2 weeks. Was packed in a homemade box barely big enough for the panel with a single layer of bubble wrap. I knew with seeing it boxed like that it would be damaged. I unwrapped it and the corner was smashed in. Go figure. Red Sea customer service sucks. Inept employees there obviously. Can't pack a simple box. BTW, I found better cam locks at Lowe's so I'll be replacing all those cheap garbage ones that come with the stand. Now to wait another month and see what red sea ships me. 

• 1 month later...

Got my second replacement end panel. It was still packed by what appears to be a five year old. But arrived relatively safe. Only took a month and a half. Now for red seas outstanding quality, it's more flat black where the rest of my stand is more glossy, so it doesn't match. Guess I'm just gonna live with it. Wish they would have sent a whole new stand, but you know, big Corp profit margins must come first. Never again will I buy red sea.

Edited by CrabbyCrabs

• 6 months later...

Reefer is mostly up. Still letting the stand adjust to the carpet before filling the rest of the way. I put adjustable legs where each little foot was so it can sit level on uneven floors, like carpet. Tossed some rock in and left space to move the rock from my Max nano into it also to avoid a cycle. I'm not good at making fancy rockwork so I just made it steady.

IMG_20190807_203227478.jpg

Any way to eliminate the wobble of the tank when it's on carpet? If it wasn't a rental I'd cut it out. The tank is leveled on all feet in all directions. But it wobbles pretty good when you push on it lightly. I put a post Jack and 4x6 across the joists under the tank in the laundry room which helped eliminate wobble when walking past it. Another reason to hate carpet.

37 minutes ago, CrabbyCrabs said:

Any way to eliminate the wobble of the tank when it's on carpet? If it wasn't a rental I'd cut it out. The tank is leveled on all feet in all directions. But it wobbles pretty good when you push on it lightly. I put a post Jack and 4x6 across the joists under the tank in the laundry room which helped eliminate wobble when walking past it. Another reason to hate carpet.

I would wedge a piece of wood between the rear top of the cabinet and the wall at each end of the tank.  It will likely leave a mark on the wall, but that's easy to repair later. 

I don't understand how it's still wobbly. It's 100 gallons almost. Probably 1000lbs on a few contact points, how is the carpet/pad not completely compressed? I think I'm going to try to wedge blocks under the stand then slowly lower the adjustment legs till it's level and supported partially by the blocks.