Dosing questions

The ReefBox

I don't think anything is cheaper than the BRS.. Except maybe the DIY baking soda and ice melt formula.  What I have noticed is that how much you add is kind of not related to the volume of your tank but the actual volume that is consumed by your corals.  I hope this makes sense.  I have a moderate amount of SPS right now and add 110 ml daily... but that is to a 400 gallon system. 

3 hours ago, pdxmonkeyboy said:

I don't think anything is cheaper than the BRS.. Except maybe the DIY baking soda and ice melt formula.  What I have noticed is that how much you add is kind of not related to the volume of your tank but the actual volume that is consumed by your corals.  I hope this makes sense.  I have a moderate amount of SPS right now and add 110 ml daily... but that is to a 400 gallon system. 

Totally agree it’s based off DKH drop per day

On 11/15/2018 at 9:44 PM, viper55 said:

So to follow up it took 28 ml of ESV bionic alkalinity to brink alk up by .4 DKH today   So that will be my daily rate and will adjust weekly as needed

I am glad you got that figured out. 

If you are trying to grow sticks I would encourage you to try raising that ALK up to 10 or 11. If my Alk was at 8 I would kinda panic. While that is the minimum number and used by some I have had much better success at number closer to 10-11. The main thing is that it remains stable. 

HTH

10 hours ago, pledosophy said:

I am glad you got that figured out. 

If you are trying to grow sticks I would encourage you to try raising that ALK up to 10 or 11. If my Alk was at 8 I would kinda panic. While that is the minimum number and used by some I have had much better success at number closer to 10-11. The main thing is that it remains stable. 

HTH

Can’t run my alk  that high with low nutrients and intense lighting. It leads to burnt tips and bleached corals. I’ve already had to raise my lights.  I’ll slowly be raising my nutrients to get to a happy medium

Edited by viper55

On 11/24/2018 at 11:03 PM, viper55 said:

Can’t run my alk  that high with low nutrients and intense lighting. It leads to burnt tips and bleached corals. I’ve already had to raise my lights.  I’ll slowly be raising my nutrients to get to a happy medium

I have never experienced bleaching relating to alk levels with a ULNS myself. I do feed quite a bit, but through carbon dosing keep the nitrate and phosphate levels next to nothing. I think because of that my experience might be a bit different. I'm feeding multiple times a day. 

IME supplementing potassium can help with bleaching issues related to light if you encounter it again. Brightwell makes a good one. I joke that I feed my fish banana for potassium, but you're gonna be better off with a real product IME. 

Glad you found what is working for you.