Dosing questions

The ReefBox

So quick question here as dosing is new to me. My system is about 150-160 gallon total water volume. And have 30-40 small (1” or larger) SPS frags I am dropping about .5-.6 DKH per day in alk. I am using a GHL new doser and wonder what I should set it to dose per day to make up that .5-.6 DKH usage per day (in ml) 

thanks for input and suggestions 

You need to know how much your doser Is dosing then you will have most parts of the equation, I only know brs supplements and use there calculator.  I know there is other calculators out there, I'm sure others will chime in.

Here is a link for a calculator that covers multiple brands choose the traditional button

http://reef.diesyst.com/chemcalc/chem_calc3.html

1 hour ago, lewisriverfisherman said:

You need to know how much your doser Is dosing then you will have most parts of the equation, I only know brs supplements and use there calculator.  I know there is other calculators out there, I'm sure others will chime in.

Here is a link for a calculator that covers multiple brands choose the traditional button

http://reef.diesyst.com/chemcalc/chem_calc3.html

Not sure if I did not explain well enough. But my doser will dose whatever I set it for. It is for daily maintenance not one time dose  does this make sense?

I would guess for that volume it is going to be cheaper for you to switch to a CA reactor soon. 

I would start by dosing 100mL. Then test to see how much that raised your ALK. Then you can adjust from there. 

In my 120 once it was fully stocked I was going through about 300mL of 2 part a day. 

HTH

51 minutes ago, pledosophy said:

Looks like my guesstimate was pretty close. That's what 18 years in the hobby will do for ya. :D 

53 minutes ago, cjmdh said:

image.png

You guys ignored that the OP is not using BRS 2-part.  Using the calculator I linked above, it shows 149.6ml of ESV B-Ionic:

Screen Shot 2018-11-14 at 7.02.47 PM.png

I'd recommend doing thorough research on the product you're dosing before relying on opinions in forums.  You don't want to find out the hard way that you miscalculated dosing volumes.

I didn't ignore it actually. 

For a tank his size the water volume is an estimate. 100mL will raise it a specific amount and that will tell you how much more you need to go. Even if it over shot it by a bit, that amount in that size of a tank isn't going to be a big deal IME. 100mL is a conservative starting point.

Setting your doser for alk is a continually changing thing IME. As the frags grow into colonies their needs will change. 

We're talking about talking about two tenths of a point difference between dosing 100mLor 149mL. That is not going to make or break a tank at all. I have dosed tanks up 3 full points in one shot.

JME 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pledosophy said:

I didn't ignore it actually. 

For a tank his size the water volume is an estimate. 100mL will raise it a specific amount and that will tell you how much more you need to go. Even if it over shot it by a bit, that amount in that size of a tank isn't going to be a big deal IME. 100mL is a conservative starting point.

Setting your doser for alk is a continually changing thing IME. As the frags grow into colonies their needs will change. 

We're talking about talking about two tenths of a point difference between dosing 100mLor 149mL. That is not going to make or break a tank at all. I have dosed tanks up 3 full points in one shot.

JME 

I was basing my comment on the screen shots showing the BRS calculator listing a BRS additive.  I just wanted to emphasize to the original poster that it's best to research the exact product being dosed rather than just accepting advice from forum users.  Sure, your estimate was close, but what if he was using a product where the difference was significant?  I'd hate to see someone crash their tank because they didn't do the due diligence that's warranted.

Just now, SuncrestReef said:

I was basing my comment on the screen shots showing the BRS calculator listing a BRS additive.  I just wanted to emphasize to the original poster that it's best to research the exact product being dosed rather than just accepting advice from forum users.  Sure, your estimate was close, but what if he was using a product where the difference was significant?  I'd hate to see someone crash their tank because they didn't do the due diligence that's warranted.

I used the product he is using for 2 years. I am familiar with it and how it affects a tank ;) 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SuncrestReef said:

If that had been stated in your post, I wouldn't have had the concern.  My apologies.

No worries Homie. Nothin to apologize for. 

IME I have found most calculators to be pretty close, but they don't replace actually testing it in your system. Also sometimes products change but the calculators are not updated.  Different batches of the same product can be different, estimations on water volume can be different. I usually find it best to add some. Find out how it affects your system. Then determine the rest from there. Just different strokes for different folks I guess. 

Hey guys thanks a bunch. Got caught up on a suicidal subject and came back to all of this.  It’s weird the bionic calculator I found from marine depot said 33 ml to raise from 7.5 to 8. But it was acting weird on my phone so glad you all did some homework for me!!!  Btw I love the healthy dedates we have here!!

• Like 1

I use ESV and bought the 5 gallon buckets of concentrate instead of the 1 gallon of concentrate from BRS. Hopefully that is what you purchased. The savings have been huge. Took a while to get the 5 gallons of concentrate to dissolve though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Willapa said:

I use ESV and bought the 5 gallon buckets of concentrate instead of the 1 gallon of concentrate from BRS. Hopefully that is what you purchased. The savings have been huge. Took a while to get the 5 gallons of concentrate to dissolve though.

Yes but I think the Fritz RPM might be cheaper and already mixed.  How much you dose each day and what size tank?

Yes but I think the Fritz RPM might be cheaper and already mixed.  How much you dose each day and what size tank?

Never tried the fritz 2 part. Dissolving the ESV isn't necessarily hard, just takes a few days. So if you run out, don't expect to use your new shipment the day it comes in the mail. I dose about 60 ml in a pretty packed 50 gallon frag tank with LPS and SPS. Have quite a bit of rock tucked away with and lots of coralline. Coralline really sucks up a lot of 2 part. It's weird though, I've seen some other really full tanks that just don't use much and others that use a ton. It seems kinda mysterious sometimes. Your tank will be its own unique number and hard to compare. The big thing is to watch for is precipitation. I coated an old tank of mine with precipitation and was a pain to get off. For me, I dose right at a power head in the display or at the entrance to the overflow box. Lots of people dose in the sump and don't have issues, but never worked for me. You could put a powerhead in a chamber and dose there I suppose. Sodium carbonate can spike the ph locally and best to do in small increments in a high flow area. I dose every hour in small increments for about 18 hours over the lights off period to keep ph up at night. Dose the calcium during the day in 2 doses. Probably overkill, but I have pretty high alk and Ca and have no precipitation whatsoever and levels stay pretty stable. I rarely have to clean pumps and things. I use the BRS 1.1ml/min pumps hooked to Apex. I test the alk every couple of days and rarely test calcium. I just make sure to dose equal parts of the Ca supplement and levels are always spot on. Supposedly ESV has magnesium mixed in and was told you still need to add, but I haven't added magnesium in years and it stays in check.

Overall I like ESV but it's not cheap. I just have terrible luck with precipitation of the BRS 2 Part, but others love it. But I've always dosed quite a bit for a small tank and may cause some of my issues.

Just start dosing and testing and adding and tweaking every few days. Just try not to jigger with the dosage everyday or you'll start chasing your tail. Once it's dialed in, it should stay rock solid for months without many changes. Except recently my phosphate shot up to .24 unexpectedly I think due to dosing fluconozole and alk shot up.

22 hours ago, Willapa said: