Phos test

undrtkr_00

OK, so I have a noob question. (icon)

A few days ago I got my first Salifert phosphorous test and tried it out.

The instructions are to add 10 mL of water to the test vial, add 4 drops of the liquid, "swirl gently" for 10 secs, then add a level scoop of the powder, then "swirl gently" for 30 seconds, and take your reading.

So I did all of that, but the powder doesn't seem to be dissolving after 30 seconds or even a minute. I let it sit for a few minutes, and I can still see crystals at the bottom of the vial, and basically no color at all. They say specifically "do not shake" - so I am wondering if mixing in air will give you troubles.

Finally, I take the little scoop they provide you with, stir the solution up, and the crystals dissolve. After doing that, it finally does show some color. I've done it twice - once before my water change and once after. Similar process each time. The first time, my reading was 0.5 ppm (pretty high), and the second time (after the water change), it showed closer to 0.25 ppm (still pretty high). So I am wondering if I really do have phosphorous that high, or whether by stirring the mixture I am affecting the test results. Also, why is my solution apparently not mixing properly when I follow the instructions exactly? (scratch)

I know a bunch of people here use these tests, so if anyone can lend the voice of experience, I'd appreciate it.

Only suggestion is mix the scoop of crystals up prior to adding, make sure your saltwater is not cold (doubtful unless you let it sit out) I do recall having crystals left in there, its the same with no3 test kit, but should be minimal.

But honestly if your getting any reading of phos your best off adding some phos remover and move on. I have had best luck with phoslock, just rinse very well, or if your lazy use phosban.