i cannot get this bulkhead to seal

Ron Popeil

i have a 2" bulkhead on the lower corner of my sump that feeds my tanks.

i cannot get this to seal.

i was working on my system, updating some plumbing, and then when i get it all ready to turn back on....it leaks like a sieve. ive tried tightening it. ive tried adjusting the height and position of the reeflo dart. nothing.

if i position it just right, i can get it to drip, but a pretty steady drip.

if anyone has any other suggestions....i need them. im very frustrated.

thanks michael. so ill be without sump for a few days while another is being built. i just need a simple box that holds water.

my biggest problem however....will now be draining my tanks, pulling out my stand, and sliding the new sump in. then putting it back...refilling...ugh.

If I could do it over again, I'd put another door in one of the sides of the stand, so it would be easier to get the sump in/out if needed.

In fact, if I needed to get my sump out, I might just try cutting a door into the side after putting extra supports in the corners.

How big is your tank?

thanks for the tip. i think ill try to slide it over, but if that doesnt work to get the sump out and a new one in...ill just have to remove it completely for about one minute during the exchange.

keep the input coming on if you think the stand will do fine without that center brace for a few moments!

i was using the computer at work, yes. sorry for the confusion.

fortunately, brace came out. new sump went in. everything appears to be going well...and inspite of dealing with temperatures in the 60s and then back up into the high 80s between extended periods of no water movement or light....most of the live stock seems to be surviving. stressed, but recoverable.

Hello,

I have had problems with bulkheads leakinig before, and the most troublesome event was one where teh bulkhead was resting on the bottom of the hole, i.e. gravity held the BH down on the acruylic, so the gasket was just barely making contact at the top of the hole, but with water flowing downhill, it seemed it was leakinig from the bottom

When installing the next BH, as you are hand tightening it, gently lift it up so it is centered in the hold. Then hand tighten it, (THAT IS IT, no WRENCHES)

I should also suggest that the gasket goes on the inside, or against the flsh part of hte BH, not the part that has the threads on the outside, (the part that the large BH nut screws onto...)

Also, I dont reccomend sched 80 bulkheads except on the bottom plate glass.

Teh sched 80 s for STRUCTURAL strength, to make up for the loss of integrity by removing the glass, i.e. drilling the glass)

The BH becomes the strenght that was reduced...

Also, sched 80 has a smaller inside diameter, so whenever you use sched 80, you are getting less water flow... as it has a smaller diameter...

Never use silicone on the gasket or surface of glass in hopes of sealing. It dont work that way. And will make it prone to air bubbles that will allow water to sneak bast the gasket...

As for the removal of the old sump, and draining the tank, I am not sure why you need to drain the tank, just replace the standpipe with a longer pipe, one that sticks above the water line, then water will not drain into the sump, you will only have to drain the sump..

Good luck

Bill