Green red planet

CrabbyCrabs

I got a frag of supposed red planet maybe 8 months ago and it turned green. It always has polyp extension and encrusted the plug and some on surrounding rock. It has grown one small Branch but no other branches. It is near the top of my tank and is a bright green. I don't remember if it's always been green but I think it was maroon colored when I got it. Now my rbta moved and stings it. Any clue why it's green?

IMG_20181020_192607001_HDR.jpg

My ORA red planet frag did the same thing, added about 50 watts of royal blue led to my daytime lights and it started getting the red pink color where the light hits it hard, and is staying green in the shadowy areas. I personally keep my nutrients a little on the high side because my tank is mixed softies, lps, sps and it's coloring up very well with the addition of more light. Your rbta stinging it will probably be  a factor as well. The green could be from stress.

• Like 1

You have that poor SPS squashed in between an RBTA(I know it moved there), and a blastomussa. Both can kill the red planet. Sure maybe it's par, but I would move it, especially since it not encrusted too much .

My red planets would usually have a green tint to them in the lowest light for sure....alot of planets will show a green belly for this reason, light doesnt hit the underside.

It's actually pushing the blastoma out not the blastoma harming it. I will move the blastoma somewhere else or trade it in, limited room in this tank. Then move the planet over to the hole the blastoma is in. I turned the lights up a bit though they are still on acclimation mode I just turned the acclimation percent down.

2 hours ago, Mandinga said:

You have that poor SPS squashed in between an RBTA(I know it moved there), and a blastomussa. Both can kill the red planet. Sure maybe it's par, but I would move it, especially since it not encrusted too much .

My red planets would usually have a green tint to them in the lowest light for sure....alot of planets will show a green belly for this reason, light doesnt hit the underside.

Good spot Issac. Could be war fare stressing it out for sure 

2 hours ago, CrabbyCrabs said:

The Cali tort must be a lower light sps as it's at least tripled in size in like 2 months even with alk swings. And it's a bit more purple than it was when I got it. Been on sand bed up till last week.

With most sps, they will still grow with less light, the more light will be for color, and possibly quicker growth. Different sps grow at different levels like terrestrial plants, some require full sun and some require full shade but both will grow just as fast and be just as healthy even though they're in different light levels. There are also hardier sps than others.