Skebor's C-Vue 40 gallon

skebor

Hello everyone. Thought I would share my build in hopes of getting ideas, help, and hopefully a successful piece of functional art.

Equipment that I have so far is:

Ordered the C-Vue 40 gallon AIO

Custom built stand

Planning 2 AI Prime HD (currently have 1)

Tunze 3152 ato

Plan to have:

Refugium in one of the filter chambers

Skimmer in center chamber (Tunze 9004 dc?)

I would love to hear any ideas that anyone has. I am really excited about this build, but it will be a while before i get it going.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Nice! I recently purchased a cvue 40 as well. Yours looks like it came in way better shape then mine. I have a few issues with the craftsmanship, but overall, I am happy with it.

Almost through my cycle, and I cant wait to start filling it. 

Currently there is no light because I am waiting for Kessil to release the A360X....

As it stands, I have about 30 lbs of rock, with a bare bottom. 

The equipment I currently have is; 

A single AI Nero 5  

Cobalt Neotherm

Tunze ATO

I plan to run a refugium/ bottle skimmer,

Hopefully my two maroon clowns like it and  I get to grow out some sick SPS!

Cheers Nicks&Stones

-pics to follow soon

• Like 1

Today when i get home from work, i will begin the stand planning/construction. The stand isnt going to be anything special as there will be a built-in office desk in the future that will have a section to house my tank. I also get to have the dreaded re-addressing with the boss... i mean my wife, as to where in our house i can place the tank. Hoping to have the stand done and begin placing components this weekend.

Also, I have been tossing up the idea of a seeded cheato reactor with one of my pumps running to it, and then back to my tank. Would the flow in the reactor be too much for pods to live? I want some sort of refugium to mature for pod provision for a future mandarin. I have always felt that pods that go from refugium through a pump and into display get killed in the process. So a way to pump water into the refugium/pod home and then flows into the display seems better. Any ideas or feedback would be greatly appreciated!

• 3 weeks later...

So I have a good update. I have had my tank running now for a week. I am doing a fishless cycle. I got 40lbs of live rock and about 30lbs of live sand. I ran it for a week with a bottle of bio spira while dosing Tims ammonia chloride to 2ppm. I basically had a non-exsistant cycle as I would dose and test ammonia one night and the next morning it would test to 0ppm. The only "cycle" I saw was nitrites spiked to 5.0ppm. But after a large water change to remove my 40ppm nitrates, I currently have 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and 0 nitrates. I decided to stop the ammonia additions and I got 10 hermit crabs to combat future algae outbreaks. I will be feeding the tank a small amount of food every other day and will be monitoring everything for another couple days for changes before adding fish and possible corals. My equipment so far is:
AI Prime HD
Marine pure balls
Jabeo SW2
Koralia nano 240
Cobalt 200w neotherm heater
Filter socks went back in with noise reducers from 3dpreefs.com
Later this week i will receive my icecap k2-50 skimmer as well.d32556aef0f2f21a7a647b648c2f8478.jpg5c168367005bd44595db0d4de90f57d6.jpgbd37d5ae2c69803c9610950266bff271.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

So it seems I have forgotten about my build thread. A lot has changed with my tank.

Livestock as follows:
1 prawn goby
1 carpenters wrasse
1 firefish
3 flame cardinals (christmas present that is turning out to be trouble)
1 coral banded shrimp
3 emerald crabs

Corals:
Hammer coral
Trumpet coral
Galaxia
Orange mushroom
Pink floyd chalice
Cali-tort
Silly string
Palys that i dont remeber the name
Bali green slimmer
Neon green monti
Bi-colored monti
And a red acro that my fish guy told me the name but i forgot (its like red martian or something).

Most of the corals and fish were Christmas presents from family. It was a lot more adds a lot faster than i wanted, but everything is doing great. I bought the 3d printed filter sock caps for holding filter floss from 3dreef.com. I got a Icecap K2-50 skimmer in the left chamber and have 2 good sized bags of marine pure in the chamber with the pumps and heater. The right chamber is getting a media basket that I made and will use as a refugium. I am running a duetto ato with a 5 gallon bucket that I fill with 1 gallon of kalkwasser and 4 gallons of rodi. For flow i have the Jebao sw2 turned to 4. The return pumps provide a lot more flow than i expected.

Right now i have a pretty bad algae problem. Im hoping chaeto will help remove whatever nutrients is growing the algae. My water parameters are 77.5°f, 8.0 pH, no ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, or phosphates. Salinity is 1.027, alk is 10dkh, calcium floats between 380 and 420 depending on the week. Im dosing Seachem reef trace once a week. I feed once a day at dinner time, and only enough to be consumed within a minute.

Anyone have any advise on combating the algae?e742254751790968aab33d0b084238ce.jpgb71d6d3bf7621fe9455c4198f5b4c362.jpgb75c7e9de8768357e566502cfe90be2c.jpgd27714f8110de8b0e6b4bcd6cf53471a.jpg79d956c4d1b670b2468a9ebb763431a6.jpgf3737174fadf81284e1db69fba5d65cc.jpgdff28f4ba659bc8efa895d0b95a44a00.jpg3a4360c2cf0e82aa84472cf37b50dfc8.jpg

My guess for the source of your algae problem would be that you stocked up so fast. Your bio load has skyrocketed compared to the growth of your bacterial colonies.

I think some cheato is always a good idea as a nutrient export. Just keep up with your regular maintenance after you add it and see how things go for a bit. Algae isn’t bad for you reef, unless severe, it’s really just considered an eyesore by most. 

Getting rid of algae can can be a slow process, unless you use chemicals to battle it. Though I don’t really like chemical treatments for myself cause it feels like Kind of a quick fix and I’d rather learn how to fix my husbandry. I want to develope better habits and really understand my systems and I feel like quick fixes hinder that process for me. 

11 hours ago, Salted_Waffles said:

Getting rid of algae can can be a slow process, unless you use chemicals to battle it. Though I don’t really like chemical treatments for myself cause it feels like Kind of a quick fix and I’d rather learn how to fix my husbandry. I want to develope better habits and really understand my systems and I feel like quick fixes hinder that process for me. 

Yah what he said 😀

On 11/24/2018 at 5:54 PM, skebor said:

So I have a good update. I have had my tank running now for a week. I am doing a fishless cycle. I got 40lbs of live rock and about 30lbs of live sand. I ran it for a week with a bottle of bio spira while dosing Tims ammonia chloride to 2ppm. I basically had a non-exsistant cycle as I would dose and test ammonia one night and the next morning it would test to 0ppm. The only "cycle" I saw was nitrites spiked to 5.0ppm. But after a large water change to remove my 40ppm nitrates, I currently have 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and 0 nitrates. I decided to stop the ammonia additions and I got 10 hermit crabs to combat future algae outbreaks. I will be feeding the tank a small amount of food every other day and will be monitoring everything for another couple days for changes before adding fish and possible corals. My equipment so far is:
AI Prime HD
Marine pure balls
Jabeo SW2
Koralia nano 240
Cobalt 200w neotherm heater
Filter socks went back in with noise reducers from 3dpreefs.com
Later this week i will receive my icecap k2-50 skimmer as well.d32556aef0f2f21a7a647b648c2f8478.jpg5c168367005bd44595db0d4de90f57d6.jpgbd37d5ae2c69803c9610950266bff271.jpg

Coming along nicely,  how is that icecap skimmer working for you? Is it the nano?  Im thinking about picking 1 of these up.

Coming along nicely,  how is that icecap skimmer working for you? Is it the nano?  Im thinking about picking 1 of these up.
It works pretty good. Took a little to get it tuned in though, and the top of the bubble chamber separated from the bottom when you would adjust the skim. After a little acrylic glue it works great. Collection cup is small so i would make surebto have tubing and a larger container.

• Thanks 1