Zoas melting, stalks turning transparent

CrabbyCrabs

My zoas have been melting recently. Have dipped in reef dip, no help. Coralrx not effective. Peroxide seemed to help. Noticed the stalks are almost transparent on some. No3 about 12, po4 about .12, salinity 1.025, have had an ALK issue but dosing 2ml twice daily is keeping it around 7 to 7.6 dkh, mag 1480-1500 or so, cal 440-480. One colony was growing then closed up and shrunk. Using Dan's reef v7 light setting with 50% acclimation which seems to be helping sps growth and my trumpet, blastoma, chalice, etc but now my once fluffy acans are not so fluffy. Using reef crystals that measures 7.3 dkh, 1600 mag, 500 cal at 1.025 from a local store. Do weekly 5-6 gallon water changes. Top off with rodi.

Screenshot_2018-10-20-08-07-00.png

Edited by CrabbyCrabs
Add pic

Light is kinda like Saxby I guess which is real popular. It's just not as intense and a little more basic with the ramping and curve. BTW, I have ai primeHD lights. This setting is very white to my eyes, not much blue till the end of ramp down or beginning of ramp up.  I tried nano Karen's profile for a bit off the ai signature site but none of my Coral liked it except my trumpet, which likes everything except my clowns. 

• Like 1

Try fresh water dipping the zoa's a lot of the dips won't get the pest off of them 10 to 15 minutes you can try this setting to it's What I run on mine UV 119 purple 118 Royal Blue 89 blue 90 red 4 Green 4 white 19  and turn off lunar and weather and try dosing iodide if you don't.

I've been trying to keep alk at 7.3 ish since that's about what my reef crystals comes from obsessions at when I test it. 1-2 ml twice a day to keep it there for last two weeks. My sps seem to like it, along with most everything else except the zoas. I might start buying just rodi and mix my salt when I need it. I've got a big bucket of reef crystals that needs to be used then I'll go back to salinity as someone gave me a bucket and those parameters always tested better.

IMG_20181020_192536304.jpg

IMG_20181020_192549937.jpg

IMG_20181020_192607001_HDR.jpg

IMG_20181020_192558894.jpg

Edited by CrabbyCrabs
Add pic

What I find interesting is the two sps I have, have been bullet proof through all this. They keep growing although slow. They've lived through two months of pig deworming for flatworms, blackouts, tank moves, etc... I have lost other sps before, and a clam, but these two keep going. Not sure what they are. Due to the small tank i am ok with slow growth but I'd like them to be open. Maybe it's a flow thing. I have two Eflux 660 wavemakers in there. They kinda suck, they won't run below 50% even after cleaning, won't recommend or buy these again. Even on high they don't seem to move a whole lot. 

I tried rodi dipping once and lost zoas after a 3 minute dip. Probably not the fault of the dip. Now I only rodi rinse my snails/crabs. But I have used Bayer and nothing comes off but pods. I do have those a-hole vermatids but only a few that I crush to death whenever I see them and my peppermint cleans up after. I have been removing the few astrerina stars that I see as I've read they can eat them. 

I have 25 lbs of life rock and the same in caribsea sand if that helps and I run carbon 24/7 and replace it every month or two and rinse in rodi every other water change. 

The Clark, you might be on to something. Reef crystals is supposed to be higher in ALK but mine test low with red Sea kits. Both the foundation pro Ca/KH/Mg and the Marine care. Wonder if red Sea kits are not good even though they expire over a year out. I know I had to buy the algae control kit to get proper no3 readings as the Marine kit I have always registered well over 20 even with new water.

17 hours ago, CrabbyCrabs said:

The Clark, you might be on to something. Reef crystals is supposed to be higher in ALK but mine test low with red Sea kits. Both the foundation pro Ca/KH/Mg and the Marine care. Wonder if red Sea kits are not good even though they expire over a year out. I know I had to buy the algae control kit to get proper no3 readings as the Marine kit I have always registered well over 20 even with new water.

If you have a LFS or a close by buddy who can corroborate your tests, it is good to get a second test/opinion.  I love Hanna for Alk, and use Salifert as my backup check.  One cool thing Salifert does is ship a known DKH substance with their kit.  So you can test your test kit.

Good luck, sometimes zoas can be super challenging or at least perplexing!

• 1 year later...