CrabbyCrabs

New here

I'm new to the site. Was recommended by Cuttlefish and Coral. Have a Red Sea nano max. Up for little over a year. Having issues with melting zoas, dosing c is not helping. But have a few sps that are growing slowly. Alk keeps dropping low. Have 2 Wyoming white clowns that are paired that I started with, a mean tailspot blenny, watchman goby, possum wrasse that eats everything and a ton of snails and crabs. 

IMG_20181014_104121744.jpg

IMG_20181014_104159841.jpg

IMG_20181014_104213554_HDR.jpg

• Like 3

Lookin' good!  Welcome to the club.  Hopefully you'll get some helpful answers to your challenges.  It's a good community with a lot of collective knowledge to share!

Welcome!  Nice tank.  I joined about 4 months ago and have received some great advice and encouragement in the forums.  It's a great community!

Welcome! Stable alkalinity is something that is really beneficial to coral. Are you dosing 2 part solutions or just calcium in some form?

9 hours ago, CrabbyCrabs said:

Having issues with melting zoas, dosing c is not helping. But have a few sps that are growing slowly. Alk keeps dropping low.

Are you manually dosing or using dosing pumps?  What exactly are you dosing?  What are your water parameters?

Manual dosing vitamin c, it's by weight from the huge vitamin c thread on one of the reef sites. Split into 2 doses. I've been adding 2ml of red Sea all buffer twice a day for almost a week. Using no3po4x at .5 ml daily. Microbacter7 one drop daily. Last I checked alk it was 5.9 dkh, that was before dosing. Will check again tonight. Use reef crystals from a local store at 1.025 salinity. Fresh salt from them is about 7.2-7.6 dkh. My tank parameters as follows from last week. Nitrite 0, nitrate about 12, ammonia 0, po4 about .12, cal 440, mag 1480, alk 5.9. I'm using Dan's reef v7 adjusted down a bit for light schedule on two ai primeHD lights with a 50 acclimation for 3 months 

I do weekly 5 gallon or so water changes. I am just adding alk buffer. Cal was 500 plus until I started dosing alk and mag was 1600 till dosing

And I leave two nearby windows open 24/7 for some fresh air to clear built up co2 and have blackout shades on one window to prevent excess sunlight in tank room. Also have a few sticks of ecoBAKez media in a filter sock in sump, you can see it in one pic. I use fine 100 micron socks changed about 3x a week

Edited by CrabbyCrabs
Added more info

Welcome to PNWMAS! 

My advice on a tank that small would be to not dose anything and get religious about water changes. 

• Like 1

Welcome! Glad you found us and hope you get some helpful insight into your tank challenges. Several accomplished small/AIO tank keepers here who know there stuff. 

Welcome to our forum, I could say something else but it looks like it's all covered above☝️  looks like your parameters are swinging and not very stable,   I would try to make them more consistent and this should help with your zoas.

I thought Reef Crystals mixed up a lot higher than that. Any chance the test kit is off? Have you taken a sample in to the store to see if you can get the same reading they do?

This site says 13 dkh. There is a good thread somewhere on Reef2Reef where people compare parameters of salt mix over time.

I don't trust any stores on the east side where I am, they are kinda shoddy. Next time I head to the west side I'll take some to Cuttlefish and corals. I have all red Sea kits

Welcome aboard.   You’ll find tons of information and awesome people here.  I myself consider myself a nano expert in my opinion 😂.  (after all I did win the nano build off) 

CNC And Paradise Corals are my favorite places to hit up   

I've been to cnc, all things aquaria, upscales, CB's, saltwater obsessions, and woodys seahorse. My water comes from obsessions and it's finally coming in at 1.025 after many weeks of being 1.030 or slightly less and me having to mix rodi to get it down