New tank build.

kilmca

Previous tank I had was setup for about 10 years but it came down this past February.  Took a while to make a decision on what to replace it with but I finally came up with a crazy idea.  Previous tank was 10' long but i didn't want to spend the money on a 10' glass tank since it would be about three to four times more than I wanted to spend.  Turns out the stand framing for the previous 10' tank was almost perfect for a standard 180 plus a 54 gallon corner tank on each side.  Needed to modify the existing stand a little but got most of that done on Sunday.  Picture below is where i'm at so far.  Still need to figure out trim and doors for above the tank but I'm sure that will come together.

Oh and the reason for the 54 on each side of the 180 is I've always liked a corner tank since my dad had a 92 corner and because we have two kids and they always want to add livestock to the tank and I usually don't want what they want.  Each of them will get one of the 54s but i'll have to approve what they want to get to make sure it's appropriate for that size tank and it's compatible with the other livestock in that tank.  All three tanks will be running off the same sump/refugium.  Using a (8) bulb ATI from the previous tank over the 180 and probably LEDs over the 54s.  Using the same sump and other equipment from the previous tank too.  Previous tank was 400 gallons and these three will be less than 300 gallons.    

IMG_20181007_211618.jpg

• Like 2

That is a cool solution Calvin!  I have been wondering what you were up to.  So are you going to leave those ends open now so you get the full effect of the corners?  I assume so since it looks like you added structural elements between the tanks to replace the end framing.  This is going to look really sweet.  Too bad the corner tanks are the same height (apparently).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, albertareef said:

That is a cool solution Calvin!  I have been wondering what you were up to.  So are you going to leave those ends open now so you get the full effect of the corners?  I assume so since it looks like you added structural elements between the tanks to replace the end framing.  This is going to look really sweet.  Too bad the corner tanks are the same height (apparently).

yeah the ends will be open so the sitting area can have full view of the corner tanks.  the existing stand is 32" deep, the 180 is 24" deep and the 54s are 27".  I have the 54s pushed back so they line up with the back of the stand so there will be a flat surface in front of the tanks.  I could pull them forward so they line up with the front of the stand like the 180 and there would be less of a flat spot but i would have a 5" gap at the back of the tank and wall that i would need to trim out plus keeping the tanks back is better for viewing from the sitting area. 

yes, the 54s are 23" tall and the 180 is 25.5" tall.  So I could raise the 54s up so the tops match or i could have the bottoms at the same elevation.  not set on the bottoms being the same but that was my initial thought.  the framing in between the 180 and the 54s works as a separation/transition for the top of the tanks.  access to the 54s would be easier the lower they are.  if anyone has thoughts on why the bottom or top should be the same please share.  

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, kilmca said:

yeah the ends will be open so the sitting area can have full view of the corner tanks.  the existing stand is 32" deep, the 180 is 24" deep and the 54s are 27".  I have the 54s pushed back so they line up with the back of the stand so there will be a flat surface in front of the tanks.  I could pull them forward so they line up with the front of the stand like the 180 and there would be less of a flat spot but i would have a 5" gap at the back of the tank and wall that i would need to trim out plus keeping the tanks back is better for viewing from the sitting area. 

yes, the 54s are 23" tall and the 180 is 25.5" tall.  So I could raise the 54s up so the tops match or i could have the bottoms at the same elevation.  not set on the bottoms being the same but that was my initial thought.  the framing in between the 180 and the 54s works as a separation/transition for the top of the tanks.  access to the 54s would be easier the lower they are.  if anyone has thoughts on why the bottom or top should be the same please share.  

Funny - I was having that same theoretical argument with myself while looking at the setup - would it be better to have the tops or bottoms in alignment?  Not sure there is a clear winner... may depend on what looks best when trimming it out but I think your first instinct here may be best bet.  Good luck!  Look forward to seeing the progress.

• 11 months later...

Took a while to get there but the have been up and running since this spring.  With putting all fish through QT and a very busy summer it's taking a while to get fish in them.  Here are some pictures of how it turned out.  First couple pictures are blue but i recently found a setting on my phone that i could select that reduces the blue a little.    

IMG_20190407_180554.jpg

IMG_20190524_163130.jpg

IMG_20190523_203345.jpg

IMG_20190523_203359.jpg

• 3 months later...

Anyone know why I can't access Calvin's latest pictures?  The Sept 9 ones are here and I can get pics in other threads, but I can't see these.  Evidently other people can.  I can't get the pics on my PC, the website on my phone, or Tapatalk on my phone.  Did I get banned?  Did Calvin block me? :sad::comp::cryingfit:@TheClark@SuncrestReef

Edited by Gil&Fin

34 minutes ago, Gil&Fin said:

Anyone know why I can't access Calvin's latest pictures?  The Sept 9 ones are here and I can get pics in other threads, but I can't see these.  Evidently other people can.  I can't get the pics on my PC, the website on my phone, or Tapatalk on my phone.  Did I get banned?  Did Calvin block me? :sad::comp::cryingfit:@TheClark@SuncrestReef

The Sept 9 photos were inserted in the PNWMAS forum which is hosted by Amazon Web Services.  The latest photos that don’t show up are links to Google user content.  @kilmca will need to check the permissions on those photos in Google to ensure they’re accessible to the public.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, SuncrestReef said:

The Sept 9 photos were inserted in the PNWMAS forum which is hosted by Amazon Web Services.  The latest photos that don’t show up are links to Google user content.  @kilmca will need to check the permissions on those photos in Google to ensure they’re accessible to the public.

Thank you, John!  It's weird that some people can see them and others cannot.  Hopefully Calvin can change his permissions so we can see the latest pics.