Apex & Alexa integration

SuncrestReef

Neptune just released the new Amazon Alexa integration for Apex Fusion.  At first I thought it would be pretty silly, but I set it up and have to admit it's pretty convenient to use voice commands for some Apex functions.  In particular, I like being able to trigger Feed Mode without needing to use my computer or iPhone.  As I'm walking over to my tank with food in hand, I can just say "Alexa, ask Apex Fusion to turn on feed mode A" and the pumps shut down right away.  

I also used it to log my alkalinity & calcium test results:  "Alexa, tell Apex Fusion to log alkalinity as 8.1 dKH".  After logging the results, Alexa then responded "OK, your test results have been logged.  Your last alkalinity test was one day ago and 0.1 lower".   That's a pretty nice touch.

Here's more info on the Alexa integration:  https://forum.neptunesystems.com/showthread.php?24464-Amazon-Alexa-Integration-with-APEX-Fusion-FAQ

• Like 2

I joined mine tonight. it literally took 30 seconds. open alexa app, search for neptune apex under the skills task.. done.

once connected you can get readings and what not but if you want to be able to shut something off or on you have to go to apex fusion website. then click on voice on left side and you have to add names for the switches and what not.

BUT... I have to tell alexa to open apex after every command.

example. alexa.. open neptune apex.
ok, you want to open neptune apex?
yes.
Alexa, turn off neptune apex skimmer.
skimmer is turned off.
Alexa, turn skimmer on.
I'm sorry, I am not connected to blah blah blah.

Alexa, connect to neptune apex.
I heard, you want me to open neptune apex?

jesus fu#&^÷, never mind, I will do it on my phone.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Yes, it's definitely a bit clunky.  You can eliminate the initial "you want me to open neptune apex?" prompts by using the longer form command each time:

• Alexa...ask Apex Fusion to turn Off skimmer.
  • Alexa...ask Apex Fusion to turn On skimmer.

I will probably only use Alexa when I'm elbow deep in my tank or my hands are wet and I don't want saltwater on my phone or computer.  Or just to show off for friends by asking Alexa for a status report. 😎

50 minutes ago, pdxmonkeyboy said:

cool I will give that a try. AFTER I figure out why there was 5 gallons of saltwater on my basement floor this morning.....

I think my big QT is leaking?

Pdxmonkeyboy: “Alexa, which one of my tanks is leaking?

Alexa: “Hmmm, where should I begin?”

Alexa: “Would you like me to order a pallet of paper towels on Amazon?”

🤣

• Like 1

leaky canister filter.
8 salt water soaked towels in washer.
hours of solid sleep logged last night 4.75.

happiness is getting woken up at 5 am... hey there is water all over the basement..
what's leaking?
Is it cheeses tank?
Could it be the big black tank?
should I get some towels?
are you going to look?

GEEEZUZ.. LET ME GET OUT OF BED FIRST!!

• Like 1

I recorded my phos and alk numbers tonight without touching my phone. It was pretty dope. tested, came upstairs to chat with the Ms. and told alexa to record the results. The cool thing is she tells you what the last recorded results were and when. Alexa did, not my wife :)

6f676da715bef84ef15e899f1384eb1d.gif

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, pdxmonkeyboy said:

I recorded my phos and alk numbers tonight without touching my phone. It was pretty dope. tested, came upstairs to chat with the Ms. and told alexa to record the results. The cool thing is she tells you what the last recorded results were and when. Alexa did, not my wife :)

Which PO4 test kit do you use?  I use the Hanna ULR colorimeter which reads out a number that I enter into Fusion, then it calculates the PPM.  I'm not sure if I would need to tell Alexa the actually PPM, or the numeric value shown on the Hanna reader.  For example, Hanna displays 16, then when i enter that Fusion calculates it as 0.05 ppm.

Same with my Red Sea calcium test, where I tell Fusion the amount of reagent used in mL and it calculates the PPM.

I guess I can just try it and delete the test result if it's wrong.