Generator

SuncrestReef

Several months ago I ordered a whole-house standby generator, and we're finally getting close to the installation. Today my gas meter was upgraded to handle the needed capacity and connected to the new pipe that will fuel the generator. The generator should be delivered next week and final installation sometime in the next couple weeks!

My Reefer has a small UPS battery that can run all the equipment for about 2 minutes during a power outage. This will keep my Apex, pumps, and lights running during the brief time needed for the generator to fire up and transfer over to backup power. This will all happen automatically and will not require any intervention on my part. This will be a great sense of relief knowing we usually have a couple of power outages every winter.

Old gas meter:

IMG_4246.jpg

New gas meter:

IMG_4247.jpg

This is the 22kW generator I ordered:

generac-home-generator_guardian-22kw_7042_hero.png

• Like 2

1 minute ago, albertareef said:

Sounds pretty sweet - I am envious!  It's the kind of thing that you may never need but if you do...

My house is at 750 feet elevation, so in the winters we tend to get hit with more snow/ice/wind and power outages than the lower elevation areas around Portland.  Last winter we had one outage that lasted 36 hours, and several shorter ones.  With this generator, not only will my aquarium be OK, but lights, TV, furnace, garage doors, Internet, and all appliances will still have full power!  I've been wanting to do this for many years, but the aquarium finally pushed me to go for it.

• Like 1

I would love to have this. the unit itself is not that expensive but man of man the install can be REALLY expensive if your not doing it yourself!!  Even then... ughhh.  

I dont think I have the gas line needed to do it.  I have a gas powered generator and a teenager who is always home.  We do get power outages often though, very forested around here 😞

2 hours ago, pdxmonkeyboy said:

yeah... but only if you are home to plug it in and turn it on.

my "forever" house will have this for sure

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Not only will the generator automatically start up during an outage, it's also network connected so I can check the status remotely on my phone or computer.

Screen Shot 2018-10-07 at 8.01.52 PM.png Screen Shot 2018-10-07 at 8.04.18 PM.png

Edited by SuncrestReef
  • Like 1

Nice!

My neighbor had this same setup in Texas. Helped him install the gas line (had rural 200 gallon propane tank) and the ABT switch. Where we lived we had probably 8-10 3+ hour power outages a year (which power company denied). When it’s 90 degrees at 2230 and the power goes out for a few hours your house gets hot quick. His was the only house of 30 with the lights on and AC.  It got to be so bad one of the techie neighbors setup a power monitor that logged every power bump, outage, dip, etc and use the data to fight the power company. After that we only had 2 or 3 a year. 

• Like 1

I did some major electrical and other contracting to make my man cave "safe" for the reef. Changed out the wood flooring for ceramic tiles, and re-routed many electrical circuits and upgraded and moved the panels in the garage.  Then I added a cut off to switch critical circuits over to a generator when the power goes off.  This was one big step short of a whole house set up.  

This hobby is way more expensive than I expected.  Yes, you all warned me, but I did not listen.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, pdxmonkeyboy said:

nice!!

THE hardest part is actually finding a contractor!!

I've been working with Bryant Power Services.  They have been excellent to work with!  They average about 6 generator installations per month.   

I found them on Angie's List where they get great reviews.  I'd highly recommend them.

https://bryantpowerservices.com

Having the auto on switch is amazing.

I have a large 7000watt roll around gen that I have for power outages, although I have never had to use it in the 4 plus years of owning it.

I still go out and start it and plug in a few space heaters to keep in it good order and only use non ethanol fuel and try and keep about 10 gallons on hand that I rotate threw every few months.

Its kinda a pain in the butt, wish I had a nice plumbed in to my gas on the house like this one.

That's a nice clean install man..

• Like 1

The electricians installed the automatic transfer switch and connected the generator today.  

(Before anyone comments about the window near the generator, that's my garage, not a living space, so it's perfectly acceptable to install the generator in this location.  I posted these photos on a Facebook forum and several people argued with me that the generator needs to be moved.  I explained the garage, and that the building inspector approved it, but they continued to argue until I just deleted the whole thread to end the attacks.  Haters gonna hate...)

They had to shut off power to my house for over 2 hours during this installation, but they provided a portable generator to keep my aquarium running the whole time.  These guys from Bryant Power Services were great!

Now I just need to wait for the final inspection and then I'm ready for winter storms.

IMG_4313.jpg

IMG_4311.jpg

IMG_4310.jpg

IMG_4312.jpg

IMG_4317.jpg

IMG_4315.jpg

Edited by SuncrestReef
  • Like 2

The generator installation is now complete after passing all inspections!

Here's a quick video showing the generator automatic transfer switch cutting over from generator power to utility power for my house. This was filmed while manually testing the generator, and you'll see at 0:15 the transfer switch solenoid snaps closed automatically to connect the house back to utility power.

The generator remains running for about 2 minutes after the cutover just in case the utility power fails again, so the transfer switch could automatically return to generator power without the delay of starting up the generator again. Once the utility power has been solid for 2 minutes, the generator shuts itself down.

I'm pretty happy with this setup!   Bring on those winter storms...

• Like 1